Thank you to my beta mxpi1970 and my ever loyal pre readers who keep me on the right track.
I own nothing except ‘New Beginnings’. I’ve found that Carlisle shares far better than Emmett.
As always, all characters created and owned by Stephenie Meyer.
~xxXxx~
CHAPTER 5
EPOV
I felt the air leave the room as Carlisle spoke. Breathing in sharply, I watched as he slumped down into the hard, plastic chair, just out of reach of the bed. He looked at me with a mixture of trepidation and fear, his eyes haunted.
“Edward, I’m sorry. I never wanted you to find out like this. I hoped that in your own time you would remember us, and...” He tailed off, and I noticed that his fingers were locked together as if in prayer; I wondered if he was unconsciously stopping himself from reaching out to me.
“Perhaps it’s better that you told me now. What would have happened if I never remembered? Would you have let this end ‘us’, just let it all fade away like smoke in the wind? Or would you have fought for us?”
His fingers tightened still more, the nails whitening.
“Edward, you will remember us. And when you do I will be right here, ready and waiting. And if you change your mind...” His voice caught.
“You’ll still be waiting,” I stated.
He looked embarrassed, his feelings written clearly across his face at that moment. When he spoke I sensed he was choosing his words carefully. “I can’t give up on us, Edward. But if you decide that this can’t continue, then I will accept your decision. Lord only knows, Lauren is going to fight for you.”
My face fell, guilt hitting me in a tidal wave. I swallowed hard, trying to find the words.
“I didn’t mean to sleep with her, I swear. Everything she and I had just seems so frivolous now, and I hate that I’ve done this to you - to us, even though I don’t yet remember us.”
“Edward, she said you and she were together Wednesday night, correct? I can tell you now that you weren’t – for definite.”
“I didn’t sleep with her? Are you sure?” I sank back into my pillows gratefully.
“Absolutely; she told me herself just yesterday that you two were taking it slow.”
“So she lied. To my face.” I really don’t know that girl at all, or what she is capable of.
“Rest assured I will be speaking to her mother about all this. Esme needs to know what has happened and, doubtless, it will come as something of a shock, but Lauren’s behaviour cannot go unpunished. It’s inexcusable – we raised her better than that.”
“So what happens now? I don’t deny that I feel a connection to you, but to me we’re almost strangers - you have the distinct advantage here. I don’t know what to say to you, or how to talk to you. At the bar I knew nothing about you, not even your name. I’m discovering all this now and it’s a little overwhelming.”
“I’m sorry, Edward. I should let you rest.” He made to leave. I reached out, even though his back was to me.
“Don’t go,” I begged. He looked at me searchingly. “I just found you. Stay – talk to me some more. I’m not... I’m not ready for you to go.”
Pulling the chair closer to my bedside, he immediately sat down again. Pausing for a beat, he met my gaze once again, the tip of his tongue touching his upper lip briefly.
“So - tell me about your friend Emmett. If I’m not mistaken, he is quite taken with one of our nurses. I caught them outside having a ‘moment’; judging by their blushes I’d say it looks very promising. So is he good enough for Rosalie? I’m very protective of my friends.” He grinned. “Will he be good to her or will she be just another notch on his bedpost?”
I laughed, and it felt so good.
“Emmett is a big guy with an even bigger personality, but underneath it all he’s very lonely. He spends far too much time locked away on his own. He had his heart broken several months back and has withdrawn into himself. He denies it of course. But any girl would be lucky to have Emm; he’s a prince to them.” I looked at him askance.”Don’t ever tell him I told you that or I’ll be back here for a plaster cast.”
“So – I can tell her that he’s a complete pushover, can I?” he asked, a grin spreading teasingly across his face.
“Don’t you dare! I don’t deny that, if he loves the girl, she can pretty much get him to do anything she wants. But you never heard me say that; I’m sure Rosalie will soon work it out for herself if they get together. And take full advantage, no doubt.”
Carlisle chuckled. “Quite possibly. She’s been single for a while too. Her last boyfriend was ... a problem, shall we say. But she’s a lovely girl – Emmett has struck lucky there.”
“I can’t believe it. I was only just winding him up about that earlier on. I said he had no chance with any of the pretty nurses here. Damn! I hate being wrong!” I clicked my fingers in mock agitation, secretly happy that Emm might have found someone. We fell into silence for a moment. I took a breath and decided to be brave.
“So, tell me, Carlisle,” I watched his face light up when I said his name. “What do you do when you’re not working?”
He inhaled slowly. “I work a lot. Too much, my friends will tell you. Ah.... I enjoy jogging, driving, classical music, reading and sailing, when I have the time. I have a cruiser moored at the marina; it’s a great way to unwind.”
My eyebrows rose at the casual way he mentioned his boat.
“Wow. I’ve never even been on a boat much less met anyone who had one.” I raised an eyebrow. “Do you lease it?”
“No, she’s mine, my one extravagance. The car comes with the job, so I don’t have to pay for that. I bought ‘New Beginnings’ cheaply and had her refitted. She’s not huge by any standards, just a nice size for weekend getaways.”
My mind conjured up images of Carlisle dressed casually as he steered the boat; the breeze ruffling his blond hair, a pair of aviator sunglasses covering his eyes as he turned to me smiling. I felt my stomach clench in longing.
“Maybe you could show me some day,” I asked hopefully. He blushed.
“I’d love to. I’ve never taken anyone out on her. She was my private escape after...” he paused.
“What?” I asked softly.
“After losing my partner. I needed time on my own and something to focus on; fixing up the boat, and getting her seaworthy, helped soothe my mind. I was too exhausted to dwell on things I couldn’t change. It didn’t cure the loneliness though, only helped acclimatise me to it.”
My hand started to reach for his across the bed before pulling back, my confidence failing.
“Tell me about how we got together? Please?” To my ears my voice sounded dry and rough.
He looked at me and shook his head. “When you start to remember you need to know that those memories are genuine, and that you can trust them. So, if you agree, I suggest we start with a clean slate and see where it takes us.” He looked so nervous that I ached to reassure him.
I smiled, teasingly.
“Dr Cullen – are you asking me out on a date?”
His eyes flashed and a grin spread across his face, his thumb stroking his lip. My stomach fluttered at the familiar gesture, my body reacting to him as it always had in the bar.
“I guess I am, Mr Masen. Would that be acceptable?”
I nodded mutely. I could almost feel my pupils dilate as our eyes met and locked. My breathing was shallow and I fought the urge to reach for his hand and run that thumb over my own lip.
How can I feel so close to someone I hardly know? This is crazy, but for some reason I trust it completely.
Clearing my throat, I tried to speak normally. “So when am I going to be fit enough for this date? How long do I have to be in here?”
“At least another couple of days, just for observation. Have you been on your feet at all yet?”
“Yeah - the nurse helped me to the bathroom earlier on. I was a little dizzy at first, but it was ok. I just want to go home now. The sooner I get back to work the better – I feel useless lying here.”
“Forgive me, Edward, but we would prefer to make sure you are well before we discharge you. I for one don’t want you to end up back here during our date.”
The man made a good point. I wanted to enjoy every moment I spent in his company, no matter what we did; which reminded me...
“So, what are we going to do on our date? Do you have any plans up your sleeve?”
He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the edge of the bed, his nose and chin partially covered by the backs of his fingers. The look he gave me under his lashes was enough to make me shake. My mouth dropped open as I inhaled sharply. I wondered if he was even remotely aware of the devastating effect he had on me.
“I’m sure I’ll think of something that won’t tire you too much. I can’t have you overexerting yourself just yet. I have a couple of ideas for something fun we can do together that would also give us a chance to get to know each other a little more.”
‘Together’. Oh I liked that word.
I wondered how well we had gotten to know each other before all this. Had we dated, maybe made out in the car afterward? The thought made the knots in my stomach twist painfully. I wanted to touch him, to do things to him that I had never considered before with a man. He sat in the same stance, still watching me with those dark eyes, and I wondered if my face gave away my thoughts. I wouldn’t have been surprised; I felt as if the words ‘I want you’ were inscribed on every inch of my exposed skin like a beacon. I couldn’t help but wonder how that same heated skin would react when it finally came into contact with his.
I couldn’t wait to find out.
~xxXxx~
CPOV
I left Edward to rest, and to prevent me from exhausting my self-control. Every time I was in his presence I wanted to touch him so badly; I was holding on by a thread, and the looks he was throwing my way were fraying that thread dangerously.
Content that Edward was in safe hands, I went home to shower and sleep. When I woke late Saturday morning it was time to make Esme aware of our daughter’s behaviour, and my own.
I knocked at Esme’s green front door, and waited for an answer. Hearing her cheery response I smiled to myself. Esme didn’t change. In fact, I was willing to bet that right now she was up to her elbows in some culinary confection; she always loved to cook. The door opened to reveal a floury Esme, wiping her hands on a cloth. I grinned and reached up to wipe a dash of flour from her cheek before kissing her hello.
“Carlisle! What a lovely surprise! You didn’t have plans with Lauren today, did you? I sent her to the store for more milk, but she’ll be back shortly. That is, if she hasn’t met up with friends along the way.”
“No, no. I came to see you actually. We need to have a talk about Lauren. I don’t know how much she’s told you, but we have a situation.” Esme looked immediately worried and moved toward the kitchen.
“Let me just cover this dough and then we can talk.” The room was warm, and smelled deliciously of fresh bread; I was suddenly conscious of the fact that I hadn’t eaten for almost 24 hours. She finished wiping off her hands and headed for the lounge room. Folding herself neatly into an old armchair, she looked at me expectantly. “So, talk to me.”
Sitting down on the couch I breathed deep, wondering how to start. “Lauren and I – we’ve hit a wall, and I’m guessing she hasn’t told you about it as you aren’t shouting at me. It’s regarding her relationship with Edward.”
I saw her eyes roll slightly.
“I think they’re fighting. She’s been crying a lot the last couple of days and last night she took off for a couple of hours after telling me he had been in an accident. I can’t get anything else out of her at the moment, other than he’s fine. There’s nothing wrong is there? I’m certainly not his biggest fan, but I wouldn’t wish him harm.”
I knew Esme wasn’t fond of Edward. She thought he was teaching our daughter bad ways. Unfortunately, this opinion was based solely on his age and his profession, no actual proof whatsoever; Esme, being a worried mother, took what she considered to be the necessary precautions. Her opinion could not be changed easily, and this could prove problematic with the current turn of events.
“Edward has ended their relationship, and Lauren isn’t dealing with it too well. But, before I go on, there’s something else you need to know. Edward has been in a car accident. He will be okay, but he has some amnesia. This is part of the reason I wanted to talk to you. This is going to be awkward to explain.” I rubbed my forehead worriedly, my eyes closed as I chased the words around my brain.
“Carlisle?” I heard the sudden concern in her voice. She knew my signals all too well.
Keeping my eyes fixed on my hands, I went on. “Edward has broken it off with Lauren because he met someone else.” Glancing up I saw Esme’s lips thin.
“He was two timing her?” I could see the anger in the set of her jaw.
“No. No. He met someone else and knew then he had to end it. She didn’t take it well, and it’s worse now that...” I struggled to carry on.
“What? Carlisle, what aren’t you telling me?” Her voice took on a sharper edge.
“Esme, Edward... and I are together now. We met some time ago at the bar where he works and danced around each other for weeks before I finally found the nerve to make a move. At the time, neither of us knew that we had Lauren in common. After all, we had never met. It was unplanned and unforgiveable I know, but...” I tried to calm my panicky breathing before continuing, “The problem has worsened significantly since Lauren’s visit yesterday. Edward has lost about five days’ worth of memory; his doctor is hopeful that it will return but Lauren has complicated matters by lying to him. He now believes that they have had intimate relations. He is very confused and guilty as he feels inexplicably drawn to me at the same time, but has no memory of us as a couple. She has done this out of jealousy and spite, thinking she will win him back and that he will realise that he loves her.”
I realised Esme was silent and, looking up, I saw the sadness in her eyes. She had never judged me, only ever offered support, and I prayed for her understanding now as she processed this sudden turn of events.
“Are you sure about this relationship? Is he worth this upset and animosity with Lauren?” Her voice was calm, controlled and gently reproachful. “I trust your judgement as always, but it may be in everyone’s best interests to not let this continue. If it’s still so new, even without this latest development, could you see yourself still with him in five years’ time? The age difference is significant.”
“The same as Marcus and I.” I saw her face register shock at this. “Esme, this wasn’t planned, none of it. Even with his amnesia, the chemistry between us is strong. He is drawn to me and I to him. I am praying he regains those lost days so that we can move forward. At the moment I am scared to assume anything - I haven’t touched him since he woke and it has been unbelievably difficult to keep my distance. Being with him feels so natural; we’ve talked and he feels the connection too. He asked me to stay with him so that we could talk some more. Despite his confusion he still wants to be around me, but feels guilty because of Lauren. I haven’t told him that, on the night she said they were together, Edward was actually with me for the whole night.”
“Carlisle, sweetheart, have you thought about what are you going to do if Edward never remembers?”
“I can’t allow myself to think about that. I’m afraid I may fall apart,” my laugh came out as a sob. “We-we’re going on a date when he is well enough to leave hospital. Our first date.” I couldn’t stop the smile that spread across my face, my tell tale blush rising up my throat.
Esme sighed heavily.
“It’s too late, isn’t it? I can see it in your face. You’re in love with him.”
I couldn’t lie to her, I never could. I fought back the tears that threatened to overcome me.
“It’s only been a few days, I –“
“It’s been long enough, I can see that. Does he... did he, before the accident I mean, did he feel the same?”
“The things he said to me when we were alone led me to think he does.”
“If that’s the case then I’m afraid that Lauren will have to accept it. It’s time for our daughter to think of someone else for a change, and be the bigger person. She has already lost him – this is surely only delaying the inevitable.”
“Her actions are dangerous – Edward may never recover his full memory and will always wonder if what she said was true. It will eat away at him; it won’t matter if I tell him it’s a lie, there’ll always be a tiny element of doubt in his mind. The only way to prevent that is if Lauren admits to him that she lied, and does so of her own free will. A fake apology would be worthless as he would see straight through it. Edward has asked for details about how well he and I know each other. I’ve refused to tell him, hoping his true memory will surface in time. Hence the date – we, ah, haven’t actually been out of the house together yet. Unless you count me driving him to work the morning after.”
Esme’s face flushed delicately. “I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. It will give the two of you time to bond again and find out if the relationship can survive outside the bedroom.” She eyes me seriously before winking, diffusing the tension in the room.
I chuckled. “Oh, I think it has legs.”
The timer pinged, effectively ending the discussion.
“Time for the bread to go in the oven. Stay and have lunch with me? We can talk to Lauren together when she gets back.”
I acquiesced. Moving to the kitchen we worked together, preparing a light lunch and sitting down together to eat, chatting like the old friends we were. I found myself laughing for the first time in days; Esme knew how to relax me and draw my problems out into the light, helping me to face them without fear. I told her what I had planned for Edward’s and my first date, and she giggled.
“It sounds perfect! Plus, there will be plenty of opportunities to get close in the dark!” She smiled at me and I knew then that she was on my side – no matter what.
The time passed comfortably, the pair of us making short work of the clean up from both the meal and the baking. It comforted me, this glimpse of familiarity and domesticity; part of me missed this. Since Marcus, I rarely made the effort unless I had guests over, and even then it was usually the girls and Alistair from work. The girls liked to be involved in the preparation process, and I always found myself pushed to the sidelines as they invariably took over and cooked up a storm. Alistair was the conductor of the kitchen symphony, overseeing the whole process and critiquing their skills, until he would finally overstep the mark and be removed from the room by an enraged Rosalie. Despite the fiery cooking process, a good time was assured with great food and company. But, mostly I ate alone, standing at the counter deep in thought.
Esme and I were drinking coffee when Lauren appeared, carrying bags from the supermarket, and a couple from a local boutique. She looked at the two of us and left the bags in the hallway, turning for the stairs. Esme cleared her throat.
“Sweetheart, take the milk into the kitchen and then come in here and sit down.”
I heard the click of the refrigerator door, and then the scuff of her feet on the carpet as she slowly made her way into the room, eyeing us warily.
“Come and sit down. Your father and I have been talking, and he has told me everything that has been going on between the two of you. I don’t tolerate lying, Lauren, you know that. We raised you to be honest. What do you have to say for yourself?”
She stiffened; the look of defiance I was starting to recognise all too well returning to her face. She stared haughtily at me before answering her mother.
“What they did was disgusting. I told Edward that before the accident. He knew it was wrong; why else would he have tried to end it between them? I’m helping him, and he will see that. He doesn’t remember them being together and so I’m putting things right – back to how they should be. Edward should be with me.”
I spoke quietly.
“And what about what Edward wants? Have you taken that into consideration?”
“It’s a phase – he’s experimenting. It’s best for him if he never remembers; he and I can move past this.”
“No, Lauren.” Esme’s voice was steely. “You cannot play with his life like this. He is confused and you are the cause of that. He already feels guilty because he has no memory of telling you it was over, and now he believes he has slept with you? This is cruel, Lauren. You are causing him pain. Is that what you want? To hurt him? Punish him for not loving you enough? If you truly love him, you will allow him free will to make his own choices.”
For a moment I thought that Esme was making progress, but I saw the stubbornness on Lauren’s pretty face and I knew she was not in the mood to make deals. Esme persisted.
“Lauren, you must tell him the truth. It’s the right thing to do for everyone.”
“For dad, you mean! You’re just taking his side! You don’t understand - how can Edward say he loves dad? He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He loves me.”
Her words hit me like a physical blow. He loves me? Esme was still doggedly trying to get through to our daughter.
“I’m sure Edward knew his own mind. It’s not our place to tell him he’s wrong, especially now. You cannot play games with his memory, Lauren. You must tell him that you lied.”
“No.”
Esme’s legendary patience was starting to wane and I sensed a battle ahead.
“Have you considered what will happen when Edward’s memory returns? How he will feel when he realises he was tricked into making the wrong choice?”
Lauren opened her mouth to protest.
“He will be hurt all over again. He will be upset and resent you for what you did. He won’t forgive you, Lauren, you know that. There’s no getting past a lie like that. It’s a betrayal of trust.”
As Lauren stayed obstinately silent, Esme delivered the killing blow.
“Edward is an adult. He has the right to choose who he wants to have a relationship with. And he has chosen your father. Whether or not you approve, he has chosen. Respect that choice, and show some respect to your father. He has the right to be happy too.” She reached out and squeezed my hand, catching my gaze.
“No matter how you feel about your father right now, you need to be there to support each other; one of you is going to get your heart broken when all this is over.”
~xxXxx~
EPOV
It was Tuesday before I was finally allowed to go home. Alice and Rosalie were making sure I was ready, helping me pack up my few belongings before Emmett came to fetch me. It didn’t take two of them, but I was pretty sure that Rosalie was loitering on purpose to see Emmett. I had spoken to him about her; he had turned very slightly pink and said he thought she was beautiful. They hadn’t yet been out on a proper date, but I had heard that they had had coffee together in the cafeteria when he came to visit me. I just wanted to see them together, and see how Emmett acted around her. I’d soon know how he truly felt.
When I signed the release forms Alice hugged me and said she’d see me soon. When I looked bemused she simply said that Carlisle was a very good friend of hers, and gave me a knowing look. I blushed. He had said he was applying for some overdue leave and that he wouldn’t be here when I left but would be in touch. If I was not mistaken, he was as anxious for our date as I was.
Emmett arrived and my thoughts cut off as I watched him. He swaggered in, all smiles and joviality, until he saw Rosalie was in the room. I literally watched him turn into an awkward teenager before my very eyes, shuffling his feet nervously as they smiled at each other. Oh yeah – he’s a goner. Treat him right, Rosalie.
As I walked past him I whispered,
“I hope you have her number. Oh, and she loves yellow roses. Just so you know.” I had no doubt whatsoever that a couple of dozen would be making their way to her in no time at all.
As I waited for Emmett and Rosalie to exchange phone numbers I asked Alice the one question I had avoided whilst I was here.
“I’m sorry if I’m out of line, but you never talk about a partner, Alice, and you work crazy hours here. How is it possible that someone as wonderful as you is single?”
She beamed at the compliment. “I can’t explain it, Edward. I just know that there’s someone out there for me. I just have to be patient until the time is right. It will happen, and we will all be great friends. I’m positive of that.”
I leaned down and hugged her tiny frame once again, so grateful to her for her support during my stay. She had stayed almost around the clock for the first day after my accident; that went beyond simple devotion to duty. It was friendship.
Looking up I saw that Emmett was ready to go, and looking happier than a dog with two tails.
“Someone has a date...” I sing-songed quietly, and he cuffed my shoulder as I laughed. I said goodbye to Rosalie and Alice, and we made our way to Emmett’s jeep. I sighed.
“The jeep, Emmett? Are you seriously trying to bounce what remains of my brain free from its moorings?” He looked worried.
“This baby is a smooth ride, top of the line suspension...” He tailed off as I laughed at his seriousness. “Oh I see. Well Eddie boy, unless you want to walk home I’d get your skinny ass in the car. Which reminds me; when do you want to go car shopping? I’ve found a few potentials that might suit you. I really think you should consider something cooler this time.”
“Cooler? I’m thinking safer - maybe a Volvo. They do very well in crash tests you know.”
Emmett raised a judgemental eyebrow but wisely kept silent.
~xxXxx~
I stood in my tiny lounge room and took a good look around. Nothing seemed different, which was good. Walking through to my bedroom, I noticed that the bed was rumpled, as if I had left in a hurry – perhaps I had been running late on Friday? I went to smooth the covers, and the simple act fanned a scent that was at once both familiar and yet out of place here. I frowned. Kneeling on the bed, I moved to plump my pillows and more of that same fragrance was released. Curious, I lay my head on my pillow for a moment and relaxed in the simple comfort of my own bed. Reaching for the other pillow to snuggle, I noticed immediately that the fragrance was centred there. It was deliciously familiar and yet... Had I bought new cologne? It wasn’t something I bought often, maybe a present from Lauren. It was definitely a masculine, marine fragrance, and it soothed me, my mind relating it to comfort and... pleasure. As my eyes fluttered closed, I remembered smelling traces of that same scent somewhere else, maybe at the bar. I knew it wasn’t Emmett’s choice, and Dr Anders hadn’t worn any, as far as I could remember; he had smelled of fresh soap when he examined me.
I dozed for a little while, relaxed and comfortable at last. When my phone buzzed I rolled over and dug it out of my pocket.
Edward, sorry I wasn’t there this morning, but I was making arrangements for our date tonight, if you still feel up to it. Let me know.
C
I smiled as I read the message several times, before responding with a definite yes.
Excellent! I’ll swing by at 6.00 to pick you up. We can get something to eat afterward.
C
Smiling at his obvious enthusiasm, it occurred to me that I hadn’t checked my phone. Maybe there were other messages on there that would shed light on the past few days. I scrolled quickly through the last few days and to my crushing disappointment found no others from Carlisle. As a last resort I checked the call list, and there they were – two calls late Thursday evening. So that proved that he had had my number prior to the accident. It was fortunate that Lauren hadn’t found it as I suspected she would have deleted both the call record and the phone number.
The nurses had shown me how to wash my hair and avoid my stitches, and so at 6pm I found myself looking reasonably smart and presentable when the doorbell rang. My palms immediately started to sweat and I wiped them on my denim clad thighs. I was all kinds of nervous, but excitement was bubbling in the pit of my stomach at the thought of seeing him again. Opening it I took a quick breath to steady myself. He stood in jeans and a soft black polo shirt, open at the collar.
He inclined his head, his eyes raking over me and a smile spreading over his face.
“Are you ready to go?”
I couldn’t control my nerves, shyness overcoming me as I felt the warmth of his smile wash over me. I nodded, barely able to form the word.
“Yes.” I cleared my throat and grinned.
I followed him downstairs to where a beautiful Mercedes stood waiting. I opened the door to the sleek machine and climbed inside, admiring the interior and the cleanliness. Mine had been the vehicular equivalent of a condemned building compared to this.
“So, where are we going? Are you going to tell me?”
“It’s just something I thought might relax you and let your mind rest. It’s very peaceful. If you’re not into it then that’s fine, we’ll go grab a bite to eat instead. No big deal.”
I sensed that he had tried hard to arrange something special for me and I was damned if I was going to disappoint him. I would love it no matter what.
We cut through the late evening traffic with ease, and before long were approaching Pier 59. He pulled the car into an empty parking slot along the waterfront and switched off the engine.
“Have you ever been here before?”
I looked around at the quiet, darkened buildings and wondered what he was getting at. I raised a quizzical eyebrow.
“I hope we’re not about to test my swimming skills as I should inform you that I’ve been advised by my doctor to keep my stitches dry.”
He chuckled. “Come on and I’ll show you.”
We walked down the pier and approached the Aquarium, the last few customers leaving as they prepared to close up for the night. Carlisle walked up to the door and asked for someone named Sam; the girl disappeared and came back with a tall dark haired guy with the deepest voice. He sounded like James Earl Jones as he greeted Carlisle with a hefty shoulder slap. Carlisle called me over and, mystified, I followed him into the building.
“What are we doing here?” I whispered.
“Have you ever been here, Edward? It’s beautiful, soothing for the soul I always think.”
I shook my head. “No, I never have. How are we here? It’s closed up now, isn’t it?”
“This is Sam Uley – he runs the Aquarium.” I nodded and smiled at that the man as I shook his hand. “We go back a long time, and when I asked him for a small favour he was gracious enough to agree. We have this place to ourselves for an hour; no other customers around, just us and the fish. Want to take a look? I wanted to show you the Dome. It’s spectacular.”
The warmth and the silence enveloped me, and I followed Carlisle as he led me through the building, past vast exhibits of sea monsters and jellyfish, until we exited a tunnel and walked into the Dome.
My jaw dropped.
Way above me shoals of fish glided around the surface of the dome. As I watched, sharks slid silently through the deep, the other fish keeping a safe distance. I was mesmerised as I walked to the glass and watched the secret world going about its business. I don’t know how long I stood there but I heard Carlisle walk over to me, seeing his reflection in the glass.
His voice was low. “As first dates go, how am I doing?”
I turned to him. “Pretty impressive; this is beautiful and just what the doctor ordered. It’s so peaceful here. Thank you, Carlisle.”
He looked almost embarrassed at my words. Looking down I saw his hand clenched by his side and knew what I had to do. Running my fingers gingerly across his fist I felt his fingers uncurl, lacing them with mine. I gasped at the contact, the anticipation of it amplifying the electric current coursing through me at his touch. Turning to face him I tried to speak, but found no words as his eyes held mine for an infinity. His other hand reached to lightly cup my cheek and I found myself leaning in to him as if hypnotised. When his lips brushed mine I felt a shock reverberate through my body; I heard his sharp inhalation at the same time as mine as we gently kissed beneath the waves, just we two in our own lost world.
And then I recognised it.
The scent from the pillow.
It was Carlisle’s cologne.
Carlisle had slept in my bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment