Sunday, 26 September 2010

No Turning Back - part 5


All characters created and owned by Stephenie Meyer.

No copyright infringement intended.


CHAPTER 5

Emmett’s POV

As the rain lashed down outside, we were camped out on the sofa under a pile of blankets, wrapped in each other’s arms and intermittently watching television between kisses. I had discovered the pleasures of feeding her plump, red strawberries dipped in cream, enjoying her giggles as the cream went everywhere, watching her tongue chase every last dribble from around her chin. Despite my distaste for human food, I couldn’t resist capturing her delectable tongue in a kiss, her own sweet taste overriding the flavour of the fruit. She groaned and deepened the kiss, her tongue melding with mine as her hands slid into my hair, pulling it hard as she forced my mouth down harder onto hers.

I growled, unconsciously. Damn, that feels good.

My hand snaked underneath the blankets to softly squeeze her thigh, enjoying the way her breath caught as my hand slid higher, my thumb drawing circles ever closer to the where the warmth radiated from her centre. When I brushed over her already dampening flesh, I was rewarded with little whimpers, her hips rising up to meet my touch. As I gently stroked her core, little hitching gasps escaped her mouth to be swallowed down by my own, my lips holding hers hostage. I explored further into her willing softness, finding her to be wet and open. Two fingers found their target and slipped inside, gently thrusting in and out of her tightness. She mewled in pleasure and ground against my hand, rocking against it desperately searching for friction. My mouth slid along her jaw and down to her neck, my thumb rubbing the underside of her clit. This little extra twist, combined with a little sly stroking of her G spot, caused her to buck uncontrollably, profanities falling from her lips. She collapsed backward as her arm slipped down around my neck; her eyes squeezed shut in her steady, inexorable climb toward orgasm.

Keeping up the stimulation, I caught one beautiful, proud nipple between my lips and sucked it into my mouth, my tongue flickering over the tip causing more frenzied movements against my hand. Her breathing came in shorter gasps now, a pink flush spreading over her neck as she stiffened suddenly before screaming out my name, her body contracting hard around my fingers.

Watching her come was such a beautiful sight and a privilege - something only I had ever gotten to witness. It was also something I hoped to witness as often as possible.

After a moment, her eyes fluttered open and gazed into mine.

“Oh my god...” she muttered, weakly.

“Call me Emmett,” I said, grinning down at her, nuzzling my nose into the crook of her elbow and leaving a soft kiss where the veins neared the surface.

I watched her snuggle into me, under the blanket. “Are you tired, babe?”

She nodded, sliding her hand down to cup my face, her thumb running over my lips in a soft caress. I kissed it softly, never taking my eyes away from hers. Helping her to sit up, I pulled her onto my lap for a long, powerfully emotional kiss that spoke volumes. But despite that, just one thought stood out clearly in my mind:

I love her.

~xxXxx~

I carried her up to bed, already almost asleep in my arms. Once she was tucked up warmly, I lay down on top of the covers next to her, smiling as she snuggled into me once more. I kissed her forehead, hearing her murmur my name in response before falling deeply asleep within seconds. My fingers lightly traced her shape through the covers, not wanting to lose contact with her for a moment, unable to believe that she was actually here, sleeping in my bed.

I lay with her for some time, enjoying the peace I felt as her steady breathing soothed my soul. After an hour or so, I forced myself away and left her to her slumber, silently leaving the room and padding noiselessly downstairs.

The rain had finally stopped, and the outside world was as close to silent as it ever got; surrounded as we were by abundant wildlife. I switched on the tv, scrolling through the channels, looking for some sport to occupy myself with until morning. The best I could find was the rerun of that weekend’s baseball game which hadn’t been good enough first time round to warrant a second look. Sighing, I turned it off, and walked over to the table in the main room to inspect the damage I had inflicted during the evening’s activities. It didn’t look good. I winced, thinking of Esme’s reaction if she found it in its current condition.

She’ll kick my ass into the next state.

Best try to fix it then. I had a few hours to kill after all.

~xxXxx~

By sunrise I was making good progress, and, although it would never be perfect, it was most definitely looking in better shape. With a final coat of stain and varnish the damage would be near unnoticeable without close scrutiny.

And if she does notice it I’ll blame her and dad. I know that table’s seen more action that last night. Besides, I owe him payback for that stunt he pulled putting green hair dye in my shampoo. Good job it washed out – I’d looked like an oversized leprechaun.

I made sure to clean up the living room too. Mom would notice if I so much as left a trace of wood dust on the polished floor, and my ass would be toast. I was seriously starting to question how I’d survived this long with my track record of destruction.

There was that time when Rose and I had still been newlyweds, and the bed had gone clean through the wall into Mom and Dad’s room. If Mom had been human she would’ve had an aneurysm. That had been a big job to repair - Rose was so embarrassed she wouldn’t let me near her for a week...

I went back inside and headed upstairs for a shower. I peeked around the door at Bella, happy that she was sleeping peacefully. The shower water now running hot, I stepped in and started to wash off the sawdust and filler residue, enjoying the pounding of the water on my shoulders as I lathered up briskly.

As I was rinsing off, I heard my phone ring. I turned off the water and, throwing a towel around my shoulders, fished it out of my jeans and checked the display.

“Alice? What’s up, sis?”

“Emmett? You need to get Bella out of the house.” Alice sounded panicked and that, coupled with the lack of her usual cheeky greeting, put me immediately on edge.

“What? Why? She’s sleeping, Alice. I don’t want to wake her, it’s early.”

“Emm, you have less than half an hour. Do it.”

With that, she hung up.

What the hell was that?

I quickly dried off, and went to the bedroom to wake up my sleeping angel. She woke abruptly when I gently shook her, looking up at me in alarm.

“What is it? What’s wrong?” Her voice was rough, still laced with sleep.

“I don’t know, babe. Alice called. She was real cagey but the bottom line is that we need to get you out of the house in the next few minutes.”

She scrambled out of bed without another word, and ran to the bathroom. She was back in a little over five minutes, showered and dressed in her clothes that I had collected from downstairs.

“It’s too early for me to go home, Emm. Charlie will be suspicious enough that I’m home before dinner, but I’d definitely wake him trying to sneak in at this hour.”

I looked at her, realising her dilemma. Thinking on my feet, I thought of Edward.

“Come on – you can hide out at Edward’s place until whatever it is has passed. Then I’ll come fetch you back.”

She swallowed and nodded, a little apprehensively I noticed.

“It’s ok – he doesn’t bite,” I chuckled.

She slapped me across the arm.

“Hilarious, Emmett. Let’s go.”

Picking her up, I took a second to place a gentle kiss on her lips before carrying her swiftly downstairs and out of the house, down towards Edward’s cottage. I placed her down on the step and knocked briefly. Edward answered, looking alternately shocked and confused to see us both. Music filtered through quietly from the room behind him. Reading my thoughts he nodded once, and ushered Bella inside, closing the door after them.

I hurried back up to the house, hearing a car approach. Walking to the front door I finally realised, belatedly, the reason for Alice’s panic. I watched the car door open and close, heard the footsteps approach. Opening the door, I waited in the doorway.

I took a deep breath.

“Hello, Rose.”

~xxXxx~

Edward’s POV

I wondered if Bella felt as uncomfortable as I did as we both stood awkwardly, each unsure of the other’s reaction. I swallowed hard.

“Ah ... won’t you sit?” I said, indicating the chairs in the small room.

She crossed the room and chose an armchair, sitting on the edge as if prepared to flee at any moment.

“Do you...do you know what all this is about?” she asked, stuttering slightly as she looked over at me.

Shifting uncomfortably where I stood, I looked at her askance.

“I’m not 100% sure, but I think I can guess, from Alice’s tone. I think Rosalie has returned.”

She paled, quite an achievement for one with skin already so porcelain.

“Rosalie is here? Oh no, no, no...” She was on her feet again, pacing the width of the small room. “She’s going to come after me when she finds out... will she hurt me, Edward? From what Emmett said of their breakup, she was angry enough when she just thought we were together. Now we actually are, and...” She tailed off, visibly shaking.

I crossed the space between us quickly, catching her clenched hands in my own. I noticed her knuckles were white, her nails embedded in her palms.

“Bella, look at me. Look at me!” When her eyes met mine they were wide and dark, and full of fear. “This is something that they need to sort out. Rose left because she couldn’t get her own way, and Emmett wouldn’t give in to her manipulation. I love my sister, but boy - does she hate to lose. I won’t lie, this could get ugly, but you’re safe here. I won’t let anything happen to you.”

I hoped she believed me because, right now, I wasn’t entirely sure if I was right, but I knew that I would protect her should the situation escalate beyond raised voices and bruised egos. I returned to my chair and sat meditatively, listening to the soft strains of Debussy coming from the stereo.

I was surprised that, when she spoke again, some minutes later, her voice was steady and clear.

“Edward?”

“Yes?”

“For Emmett, am I... is this... just a rebound relationship? You know what he feels, what he wants. Tell me the truth, Edward. Please?” I heard her voice crack.

I was at a loss. I wished vehemently that I could read her thoughts, or at least feel her emotional level, like Jasper could. She seemed calm, but there was a strong undercurrent to her words. I ran my hands through my hair and inhaled deeply. I was out of my depth.

“I don’t know what Emmett has already told you...” I began.

“He told me about how distant they had become and how lonely he was.” Her voice had a hollow tone.

I was startled. Emmett had admitted that? I took a deep, steadying breath before continuing.

“Rose is his maker, for all intents and purposes. She might not have actually carried out the act but she saved him by bringing him here. Emmett will always be grateful for that. He loves being one of us. We all expected them to be together forever, but lately, Rose has been more unsettled and dissatisfied with their life, and with Emmett’s reluctance to make... changes... to their lifestyle. She hates being what we are, and that can colour her outlook on life. Emmett has noticeably changed since you moved to Forks. He has always been a joker, loud and, at times, a total pain in the ass, but with you he has found someone who accepts him just as he is. Rose had begun to get exasperated and annoyed with his pranks and his inability to be serious, but we are what we are made, Bella. He cannot change who he is and, from what I heard, Rose’s patience had run out.” I glanced over to Bella to see her listening intently.

“That night, the night she left, she... just reached breaking point. I heard Emmett’s pain, but not just that - I also heard his relief, as if circumstance had finally delivered the necessary change his life needed.”

I shook my head, memories of that night coming to me clearly.

“Rose was raging inside. I don’t know if anything Emmett said at that point would have made a difference; it would have just delayed the inevitable. I’m just sorry I didn’t see it coming sooner. It would have helped to have the rest of the family here for support.” Looking up at her, I knew I had to be honest. “I can’t lie to you, Bella – she has left him before, and he has always taken her back.”

Her face crumpled, and I winced.

She sat down again, still watching me, her teeth worrying her lip.

“I don’t want to speak out of turn, but I do know the, ah ... depth... of Emmett’s feelings for you. He delights in sharing thoughts about you that he knows make me uncomfortable.” I gave her a lopsided smile and she coloured instantly, no doubt guessing the subtext of my statement.

She is so lovely when she blushes. Oh stop it – you’re being ridiculous.

She looked away for a moment, still biting her lip, and when she spoke it was in little more than a whisper.

“So, are you saying that he truly wants me? Or is it highly likely that he and Rose will ... reconcile?” She looked at me, bleakly. “Has he had other... dalliances... during their breakups?” She swallowed hard, the words seemingly blocking her throat.

“No! No! Never!” I found myself almost shouting to defend Emmett. “He has never once considered a life without Rose. I-I ...” I shook my head, trying to find the right words to reassure her. “I don’t want to ... speak for Emmett. I just know that the feelings he has for you are real, and will have influence over what is most likely happening at the house right now.”

The truth was I could hear shouts and screaming from the main house, but I didn’t want to worry her with that unless I absolutely had to.

“Edward, all I want is a yes or no.” I noticed that she was wringing her hands in the hem of her jacket. “I-I know it happened fast, but we’ve been friends for months and it feels so right with him. I don’t know how I’ll deal with my life here if I lose him. I mean, take school for instance...I-I can’t go back to seeing him every day and being just friends now. I’d have to move back to Phoenix with Mom and Phil.”

I was alarmed to see a tear sliding down her cheek.

“Wait for Emmett to come back. Let him be the one to tell you.” I tried to speak in soothing tones, as if talking to a child. Her eyes were wet with tears and she looked lost. Trying to comfort her with words was clearly not enough for her; she took me completely by surprise by leaning into my chest, her arms around my neck and sobbing into my shirt. I stroked her shoulder and back lightly, completely thrown by her actions. Her scent was overpowering me, and I stopped breathing in an attempt to ignore it.

How does Emmett do this? Her blood smells unbelievable – like vintage wine. STOP IT.

I soothed her as best I could, as she cried herself out and fell asleep in my arms, exhausted by the emotional stress. I placed her gently on the couch and covered her with a blanket of Esme’s.

Looking down at her, I felt guilty for withholding the truth, but it was not my place to declare Emmett’s love for her even though he had made damn sure I knew about it when he left her with me.

~xxXxx~

Rosalie’s POV

I checked my hair in the mirror, smirking as I took in my perfect appearance.

Time to make the grand gesture.

I saw the door open and there he was – my glorious man. I took a moment to drink him in, having missed him so much in the last few days. When he looked over at the car, I slowly climbed out, taking my time and walking slinkily over to where he waited.

I was shocked when he stepped away from the door, ostensibly to allow me in but looking for all the world as if he wanted to avoid actual physical contact with me. This from the man who usually phoned or texted me every hour we were apart just to tell me that he missed me.

Still mad, sweetheart?

I stepped into the house, removing my coat and hanging it up. The house was eerily silent and I guessed the others still hadn’t returned from their travels. No sign of Edward, or ...her. My lip curled at the thought of the human. Her scent still tainted the air, so I guessed she had not stopped coming over. I’ll soon change that. I stepped through into the living room and sat down on the couch, patting the seat next to me in a bid to entice him closer. He stood in the doorway, resolute, arms folded. This was going to be harder than I thought.

Any minute now he’ll crack, and I’ll be rewarded with that dimpled smile that I love; he’ll wrap me in his arms, swearing never to let me go again.

Nothing.

The seconds ticked away in silence.

I shifted uncomfortably.

“Emm, I’m sorry that I left the way I did. I just wanted us to make a fresh start, somewhere new until the others have to move on again too. Then we can rejoin them. Think how good it would be to go where no one knows us – no more school, no more pretending. We can hunt wherever we like...” I realised I was starting to beg.

“You wanted us to leave to get me away from Bella. Admit it.” His voice startled me as did the coldness of his tone.

Of course I did. I can’t stand you being with her all the time.

“I admit I wanted us to have some time alone,” I answered, carefully. “She would have to get used to life without you if we all left Forks after high school ended. I thought it best to start the separation process slowly, so she starts adjusting to seeing less of you.”

I watched him move away from the door, expecting him to come over to me. Instead, he sat on the stairs.

“Edward told me what you were thinking before you left; your frustration with our lifestyle and with your life with me. I’m never going to be what you want, Rose. I’m never going to be ok with you cheating and killing humans, even if it is only one every year or so. Always having to always spend our holidays away from the family, so that your eye colour can return to normal before they see you; always hiding our thoughts from Edward so no one finds out. I’m not alright with that, Rose, no matter how you justify it to yourself.”

You didn’t complain about the sex afterwards though, did you, baby?

This reunion was not going according to plan which was totally unacceptable. I slowly slid off my shoes, rubbing my feet and watching him from under my lashes. Would he offer to massage my aching feet? Hmmm – it wasn’t looking likely. Looking around at the room I noticed that the table was absent.

“Emmett, what happened to Esme’s table?”

I thought I caught a ghost of a smile before he reined it in.

“It was an accident. Don’t worry; it can be repaired before Mom gets back.”

Ah – now we’re getting somewhere. The table got broken in a fit of rage and grief. My poor baby. Rosalie’s here now to make it all better.

I stood up slowly and walked seductively over to where he sat, holding his stare the whole time. He didn’t move, just sat, watching me impassively. I sat on his knee, my arms sliding around his neck. I was aching to see him smile.

“Aren’t you happy to see me?” I whispered into his ear. “I missed my Poohbear.” I tilted my head down to kiss him and was astounded when he jerked his head away. “Emmett?” I couldn’t believe it when he swiftly lifted me off his lap, standing up abruptly to move away from me. Although he didn’t meet my eye, his voice when he spoke was even and sure.

“You can’t just walk back in here and expect everything to be the same, Rose. You made it pretty clear when you left this time that I had to choose. Well I did. I chose life without you.” He looked me straight in the eye and I felt my world tilt, just a fraction.

“Emmett,” I cooed, sashaying towards him, “what are you talking about? It was a fight, that’s all; just a silly fight. I’m home now, so let’s just forget the whole thing happened and get back to normal.” I sat back down on the couch, silently willing him to join me.

His chin lifted imperceptibly. Since when does Emmett refuse me anything? Where has this defiance come from?

“And what is normal for us, Rose? Our relationship is made up of little more than tension, arguments and your uncontrollable jealousy. What does that say about us? What is there to salvage from that? I loved you, Rose. More than I thought I could ever love anyone. I owe you my life, but that doesn’t give you the right to try to control me and ... suffocate me. We are equal partners in a marriage that, for the last few years, has felt like nothing more like an eternal life sentence. When I thought you had left for good, I felt ... relief.” His voice tailed off into little more than a whisper.

“Relief? You wanted me gone?” My voice was barely audible.

When he spoke again, his voice was softer, gentler, but with a core of steel.

“What is the point of us when we stay together out of habit, just making each other miserable, Rose? Can you honestly say you enjoy living like that? Because I’m telling you here and now that I don’t. We don’t have sex anymore unless you want something. It’s been months since you’ve let me touch you. Don’t deny it - you use sex as a bargaining tool and withhold it just as easily when I won’t give you what you want. I love sex, Rose, but I want it with a willing partner; someone who wants to share the adventure.”

I noticed his nostrils were flaring. I looked down at my hands and willed them to stay folded in my lap, and not twist together. Do not show weakness. I liked sex, just not as frequently as Emmett preferred. He could cheerfully stay in our room having sex for days at a time until I could find a way to escape to go shopping or hunting. And he would always be ready for more when I got home, too. His exuberance was draining, and his enthusiasm had certainly dented this house a few times. Come to think of it, I don’t know how mom and dad had put up with us; especially when we were newlyweds.

Then again, they can act like a couple of horny teenagers when they think we’re not around.

“Just because I don’t like being pawed all the time, Emmett, doesn’t mean that I ...”

Pawed? Is that how you feel when I show you affection? When I’m trying to make love to my wife? That I’m pawing you?” The raw hurt in his voice overwhelmed me, and I felt my eyes ache with the tears I could never again shed.

Bad choice of words, Rose. Fix this. Fix it quickly.

“Emm, I’m sorry. That came out all wrong. I just meant that these days I don’t always want sexual intimacy. We’ve been married over 70 years, and I just feel that we can afford to ease up a little bit in the bedroom department. We’re certainly not honeymooners anymore. Shouldn’t it be kept as something special? We have nothing to prove to ourselves.” I kept my tone apologetic and soothing, as if talking to a petulant child, hoping he would see my point of view.

I could not have been more wrong.

Emmett looked winded, as if I had physically punched him.

“So you want to schedule sex, Rose? When were you thinking - once a month perhaps? Maybe as a Sunday treat? We could fit it in between your lavish primping sessions – as long as you don’t smudge your makeup, of course.” His tone was scathing.

I could feel panic blossoming in my chest.

He’s never spoken to me like that before.

I might actually lose him this time.

NO.

NO, NO, NO.

Rosalie Hale McCarty Cullen does NOT lose.

“Emm, we can make love more often if that’s what you want. If that’s what it takes for us to make a fresh start then I am there, fully committed 100% to making you happy.”

I hoped that this would relax him and make him more amenable to my obvious charms. The answer, when it came, sent my hopes plunging off the nearest cliff, and hitting each and every outcropping on the way down.

“So, basically you’re saying you’ll submit to my advances? But you don’t actually want to. Didn’t you hear me the first time? I want a willing body in my bed, Rose. If you truly loved me you would crave my body; you would dream about being with me again when we were apart, and you would fantasise about all the things we would do together as soon as we were reunited. And you would stop at nothing to show your desire for me. I don’t want a damn doll, Rose – I want a lover. What part of that do you not understand? We are supposed to be partners.”

I stared at him in disbelief. I had been gone for four days. Just four measly days. How had it come to this? I had just wanted to punish him for refusing to choose his wife over his little human companion; how did he expect me to react to a decision like that? I can’t believe he expected me to just accept it and carry on as if everything were fine.

I was his wife! Surely that afforded me some rights over who he associated with? Spending time with a human when we didn’t have to was so very ... degrading.

Looking at him across the room, standing so close and yet so very far away from me, I realised that I didn’t understand him at all, and I was starting to feel that I never truly would.

Looking into his golden eyes I took a breath, fearful of what I was about to ask.

“I love you, Emmett. Do you love me?”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome chapter.. i'm loving it.. keep it up.. xoxo

SPP

michielicious said...

OMG!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

Unknown said...

Go away Rose!!!! This is so awesome!! Keep it up!