Thursday, 20 October 2011

Learning to Fly - Ch14

Thank you to my beta mxpi1970.

As always, all characters created and owned by Stephenie Meyer.

~xxXxx~

CHAPTER 14

EPOV

“Yeah, Emm, of course it’s me. Who else were you expecting?”

His laugh echoed through from the office.

“So get in here and fill me in on this suspension you were talking about. Is the doc okay? I don’t read the local rag and I’ve obviously missed something important.”

Walking into the small room, I pulled out a chair and flopped into it. I breathed deep, exhaling in a loud whoosh, my fingers drawing agitated patterns on the desktop.

“Well, remember what happened in here Wednesday night, with Lauren and her friends...”

Emmett’s eyes widened as I talked, his mouth dropping open in shock. When I got to the part about the newspaper accusations, his hands balled into fists and his ears turned red as he turned to stare at a picture on the wall. His reaction was alarming and I intervened quickly.

“Cool it, Emm; it’s going to be alright. The legal team are on it. Carlisle’s with them this morning; there’s nothing you can do. When he makes his statement to the press after his name is cleared, I’m going to be standing alongside him for support. Guess it’s time to call my mom, huh?”

Emmett looked floored.

“Dude – you’re coming out on TV?” I could see his mind whirling before he shook his head with a small, quirked smile. With a great deal of relief, I saw his face start to return to a more healthy hue. “Why am I even questioning that? Of course you would; you love him.”

My eyebrows rose slightly at his matter of fact statement; I was so proud to call him my friend.

“So, do you think my mom will be okay?”

He winced dramatically before grinning. He leaned forward on his elbows.

“One thing I know is that your mom adores her baby boy.” I whipped a cardboard coaster at him and he smirked as it bounced harmlessly off of his shoulder. “Dude, she’ll be happy if you are.”

I hoped so.

~xxXxx~

As the day wore on, I waited for word from Carlisle. I missed him; the bar was quiet and there was little for me to do but worry. When Riley came in for the evening shift, I took my second break of the day, deciding to take a walk to clear my head. My phone was resolutely silent and I could only assume no news was good news. Dropping him a brief inquiring text, I walked around to the nearby Subway and ordered a late lunch. As I was paying, my phone buzzed. Pocketing my change, I fished out my phone and read the message.

*Miss you, love. Meeting was fine. Tell you later xx*

Seconds later, another text came in. I almost choked on my meatball marinara.

*Do you like chilli? Or am I hot enough for you?*

Trying to swallow and laugh at the same time caused a coughing fit that made my eyes water. Managing to text an affirmative response, I wiped my eyes and cleared my throat. When my phoned buzzed a final time, I opened the message to see a simple, winking smiley face. I shook my head, a goofy smile spreading across my face at the absurdity. I had never taken Carlisle, the serious physician, as the type to send smileys. I oddly loved this contradiction in his character.

Walking to a quiet spot, I finished off my sub and pulled my insurance details out of my pocket. Tucked inside were the details of my new car. Grinning to myself, I made the call to my insurance company to give them the details of my new vehicle. They confirmed that the police report regarding the crash had already been sent to them, and the claim for my old Subaru was being processed. As I thought, I would only be paid the minimum amount for scrap value which made me realise I had secretly hoped for more. I knew Emmett would wait, but it would be a while before I could pay him back the money I owed. What with that, my rent, the piano, and the higher insurance on the Volvo, money was going to be stretched to the absolute limit. I could see me eating the left over peanuts out of the dishes each night just to keep going. Then again, maybe not; I saw the hygiene habits of the people who ate out of those and I wasn’t willing to risk it.

The evening crowd milled in: the after work drinkers, the quiet, lonely ones, and the younger, noisier crowd. It got lively for a while and we were pulling pints and mixing drinks non-stop. In a brief moment of respite, I wiped down the bar, emptying and refilling the dishwasher as Riley cleared away the clean glasses for re-use. With my mind temporarily unoccupied with customers, I tried to bury my niggling worries by fantasising about getting Carlisle naked in the back seat of my new car.

Let’s go.... before I break my promise to myself and drag you into the back seat of the Mercedes.

Those words rose unbidden from my memory of that night at the aquarium. I felt my body respond now as it had then, little shivers of pleasure arcing through me making my legs shake; my eyes closed and I gasped quietly at the mental image of Carlisle’s face as he rode out his orgasm, his hazel eyes dark and clouded as he impaled himself on my cock. It was during this lull that Riley plucked up the courage to ask me the question I could see had been gnawing away at him.

“Edward, you seriously dating that blond guy I saw you with?”

Caught off guard, I hauled my mind back to the job in hand and looked up at him, feeling awkward and a touch defensive.

“Yeah, I seriously am. It’s not gonna be a problem, is it? We’re okay?”

“We’re good, man. I just never got the gay vibe from you, that’s all.”

I was taken aback by his comment. Seeing my face, he went red and tried to correct himself.

“You know what I mean. I thought you were all about the ladies, that’s all I meant.”

I stood still for a moment, biting my lip, before responding with total honesty.

“I was. Then I met him.”

I carried on loading the dishwasher. When I looked back I could see Riley’s face registering confusion.

“So, this is the new you? Gay, bisexual or whatever?”

Looking at him with a half smile, I gave him the only answer I had.

“There’s no need for a label, Rile. It’s just him, that’s all.” I felt my own blush stain my neck as I looked at him earnestly. “He’s the one.”

Riley nodded once, saying nothing more; conversation closed.

Closing time rolled around and Emmett and I finished up. I yawned and then laughed, apologising.

“Don’t worry, dude; it’s been a long one today. Riley’s taking early shift tomorrow and you can come in at lunchtime as usual. I appreciate today. Have you had the chance to sort your insurance? We could go get your car in the morning.”

“Yeah – did it today. What time? Oh, but I need to get to the bank first and draw out the cash I put aside. That okay?”

“Yeah, sure. But don’t worry about that tomorrow; the lady asked for a bankers cheque so I‘ve sorted that for you.”

I looked at him gratefully. My best friend had never let me down and I was so lucky to have him around.

He saw my face and grinned. “That’s settled then. I’ll call her in the morning and let her know we’re coming. Now, do you need a lift?”

I shook my head. “Carlisle’s picking me up.” Emmett gave me a cautious look.

“At least after tomorrow he won’t need to do that.” My smile wavered. “And you get to go home soon so everything will be back to normal.” I looked down, feeling my smile sputter like a dying candle, and then realised that Emmett was still speaking. “And, after all, that’s what you want, isn’t it?”

~xxXxx~

Walking outside, I saw the Mercedes waiting. I yawned again as I walked over to the car, glad my first day back was done. Having Emm there for backup had been a reassurance I hadn’t thought I needed, but I was happy to be proved wrong on this occasion. Opening the door and climbing in, I saw Carlisle’s smiling face and felt a sense of... relief? No. It was a feeling of belonging, of being where I was meant to be. Peace washed over me, as fresh and revitalising as summer rain after a hot day.

When he spoke it was with a head tilt and the inflection of a 50’s housewife. I laughed uncontrollably.

“Hey honey! How was your day?”

Through splutters, I managed a response.

“It was okay, drama-free at least. I missed you. How did the meeting go? Do they need to see you again?”

“The lawyer had all the facts, and the Chief was there to answer any other questions he had. All apart from one, that is. He called to ask about Lauren’s motivation. I had to tell him, Edward, but the lawyers promise to keep the reason under wraps so the press don’t get hold of it. We can only hope that no one else talks to them.”

He sighed deeply, all playfulness gone, worry returning. My hand found his in support, curling over his tense knuckles and rubbing them with my thumb.

“It’ll be fine, Carlisle. We knew it had to happen. Is the lawyer decent? Will he get the job done?”

A small smile quirked the edges of his lips

“I liked him. He’s a Texan, confident, well presented and knowledgeable. Handsome too.” He threw that last line in casually, watching me out of the corner of his eye.

I couldn’t resist.

“Sounds perfect; so when’s the threesome?”

Carlisle’s head fell back, his laughter joyous and unrestrained. The tension in the car was dispelled as I joined in, the feeling both welcome and reassuring.

Leaning back in his seat, he gazed at me.

“Right now there’s only one man for me, my love.”

Leaning in to steal a kiss, I muttered against his lips,

“And don’t you forget it!”

Still chuckling, he pulled me in tighter for a deeper kiss before pulling back and whispering,

“Oh, I won’t.”

We drove home quickly, the streets empty of traffic. Turning into the driveway, I spoke my thoughts aloud.

“So, what’s happening for my birthday?”

“You’ll see.” His eyes sparkled in the reflected street lighting.

“I bet I can get it out of you.”

His answering eyebrow flash made my smile widen.

“You can try.”

~xxXxx~

JPOV

Rosalie Hale was a beautiful, but feisty woman, I discovered. She had hit back every question I asked her with one of her own until she was sure I was on the level, clearly every bit as devoted to Dr Cullen as Nurse Brandon. He certainly inspired loyalty in his staff. When her interview was completed she shook my hand coolly, flicked her ice blonde hair, and left the room, leaving me speechless.

“She’s, uhm, opinionated.” I shook my head slowly; the Chief smiled wryly.

“She’s a fine nurse, that’s for sure, and fiercely protective of Dr Cullen, as you can tell.”

“Protective enough to lie for him? I’m sorry but I have to ask. Actually, what I should ask is would either of those ladies lie to cover for him?”

I asked the question bluntly, needing to see his reaction. His brow rose slightly but his tone never altered.

“No. If they thought he was in the wrong they would say so. I firmly believe that.”

As I finished up my notes, I spoke.

“So, Chief, can I leave you to call Dr Cullen and find out about those accusations? I need to know why a daughter would say those things about her father – or do you already know?”

“No, I don’t. I’ll call him now.” He pulled up the personnel files and, mere moments later, was calling a number. I heard him ask, heard him pause, then listen. Clearly the doctor was willing to talk. After half a minute or so I saw the Chief’s face drop, his mouth hanging open momentarily. He swiftly recovered his composure.

“Thank you, Carlisle. I’m so sorry I had to ask. Yes, I understand of course; this is a delicate matter that the press do not need to know about. I have your permission to tell the lawyers? Thank you. I will make sure they are discreet. I’ll be in touch soon, Carlisle. Goodbye.”

He turned to me, looking just a little shocked.

“Dr Cullen is dating his daughter’s former boyfriend. She, ah, isn’t taking it well.”

Now it was my turn to look stunned. I made hasty notes that I covered so as not to cause the doctor further embarrassment when I interviewed the other members of the nursing staff.

Not the answer I had expected at all. Did the other nurses know? Clearly Nurse Brandon did.

I spent the next hour talking to other staff on duty. I uncovered a deep respect for the doctor, but found that they knew very little about him. Most were disbelieving of the gay rumours; none appeared to harbour hostile feelings toward him, and no one had any reason to point the finger to give any credibility to the allegations. The case was cut and dried, my job easy. Finishing up with the Chief, I walked out to my car, unbuttoning my suit jacket and slipping it off. The office had been warm and my waistcoat was snug against my back; I could feel sweat along my spine as I sank into the seat of my Ford. One day I’d make enough money to upgrade to something sleek, like my superiors drove. At present, all my money went on my small apartment and suitable work attire. I was good at my job, but I had a long way to go before I became a partner in a law firm. I wondered if Alice would be interested in a date if she knew my look was a facade, a sham, to hide my working class roots. I wasn’t ashamed, but at the same time I couldn’t deny that I was trying to improve myself.

I wondered if I was good enough for her, and decided that it didn’t matter. I was hardly likely to bump into her again anytime soon. She was a beautiful mirage, out of reach of my undeserving hands.

~xxXxx~

EPOV

The next day was wet, the skies dark and gloomy with no hint of respite. Learning to love the rain had been a major part of moving to Seattle and I rather liked it; it was easy to be anonymous and unnoticed when you were hunched against driving rain or battling the elements on wet roads.

The jeep had no problems with the weather, and Emm and I were off bright and early to collect my new transportation. I was still finding it hard to believe I was getting such a beauty and wouldn’t truly allow myself to enjoy the moment until the keys were in my hand. The lady was waiting for us, paperwork at the ready, and it was minutes only before the money exchanged hands and I had custody of the keys. Thanking her politely, we hurried out to where the Volvo stood waiting; I told Emm I’d see him at work later and quickly hopped into the driver’s seat, sinking into its superior comfort. Fishing in my pocket I pulled out a CD and slotted it into the player before starting the engine. She purred into life and I followed Emm out onto the main road, tapping my fingers to the music.

When I arrived back at the house, I parked next to Carlisle’s Mercedes. Stepping out into the rain, I briefly wondered why his car wasn’t in the dry when I heard boxes being moved behind the closed garage door. I slipped inside the house and upstairs to our room before sneaking through the side door to see what was going on. He was sorting through labelled boxes, usually hidden beneath a protective tarp. He looked up in surprise when he heard the door close behind me.

“Hey. Need any help?”

He wiped his hands on his old jeans and blew a strand of hair out of his eyes.

“No; this is long overdue and I thought that, as it’s raining, I’d make a start.”

“Well, if you want to take a break. I have a great idea.” He looked at me questioningly. “As it’s pouring with rain, why don’t we take my new car for a drive and go try out the back seat. Let’s see if we can steam up the windows like they do in the movies.”

He stood for a moment, his hands on his hips as he chuckled quietly. Running a hand through his hair he gave me an appraising look that made my heart pound. I swallowed hard, heat squirming in my stomach as he stepped forward until his face was level with mine. When he spoke, his warm breath fanned my ear.

“I don’t think getting caught naked in a public place would help my current situation. But.....” his fingers slid into my hair as his lips found the spot on my neck that made my knees weak, “I could suggest an alternative plan.”

My eyes widened with interest. He smirked when his hands roamed and felt the items in my pocket. His voice was husky.

“Pull your car into the garage, and leave the door up. I’ll back in a couple of minutes. Wait for me in the back seat.”

I nodded dumbly, feeling my swelling erection press against my buttons. Jumping into my car, I pulled forward, parking in the middle of the available space. The windows were obscured by rain and I could hear the drip of water onto the concrete. Opening my door, I moved round into the immaculate back seat, sliding across until I reached the centre. Relaxing back against the cushioning, I palmed my stiff, denim covered erection before popping open the first couple of buttons while I waited. I could hear the rain pounding down outside the open garage door; I saw Carlisle reappear and step outside for a split second before lowering the door just enough so that the rain thundered heavily against it. Opening the car door he slid in next to me, his shirt damp around the shoulders and back, and raindrops glistening in his hair that escaped and rolled down the sides of his face. With the door closed the only sounds were our heavy breathing and the roar of the rain.

Reaching for him, I pulled his mouth to mine and moaned when the tip of his tongue caressed my lip. He pressed my head back into the seat and kissed me leisurely, refusing to be hurried even as my tongue reached out to his in mute supplication. He sucked my lower lip into his mouth before nipping it with his teeth; my desperate groan escaping unbidden as my hands delved into his damp hair. He pulled back a fraction and I looked deep into his eyes, seeing the raging fire in their depths, before his mouth lowered to my jaw, imprinting slow, scorching kisses along my maddened flesh. My lungs burned as I bordered on hyperventilation; when his mouth met the collar of my shirt, I felt his hands sliding the fabric up over my stomach until he wrenched it off over my head, his lips leaving my skin for the briefest of seconds before resuming their leisurely progression downward.

Needing his warm skin under my touch, I slid my hands up under his rain darkened shirt. When he looked up, I smiled coyly.

“We should get you out of those wet clothes. I don’t want you getting ill.”

His eyes locked to mine as he deliberately unbuttoned the shirt, gradually revealing his tight torso to my hungry stare and tossing the garment onto the rear shelf. My hands admired his hard physique as he gripped the headrests; his upper body hovered over me making me crave the weight of his body upon me. His lips found mine once more, the breath leaving my body in a low moan of surrender as I finally felt his tongue stroke mine. This slow seduction was pure torture; I ached to crush him to me and kiss him like the world was ending. I parted my legs to ease the pressure on my raging erection, causing the remaining buttons to pop open, affording me a modicum of relief. My eyes closed in pleasure, I felt him leave my neck and his teeth start to worry my nipple; his hand trailed down my stomach, catching deliciously in the downy line of hair leading down to my groin. I silently willed him onward to where I was throbbing for him, squirming and writhing as he sucked, lapped and bit each engorged peak, releasing them only when they were reddened and burning in the cool air. Momentarily distracted, the feel of his hand as it slid beneath my underwear was almost pleasure overload. Kissing me hard now, he swallowed my loud moan of ragged desperation as he grasped my cock firmly and began to pump it.

I was incapable of speech. I wanted to beg, I wanted to plead; I wanted everything his body could offer and more and all at once in that moment.

The kiss broke and I gasped for breath. His lips were hovering a millimetre above mine and it was too far away. His eyes were almost black with desire.

“We need these off, I think.”

My pants were tugged down, my underwear tangled up with them in his haste to render me naked. When they were free of my feet he investigated the pockets, finding the lube and condom I’d stashed there earlier. Rolling over onto the empty seat, he unfastened his own pants, sliding them off quickly to reveal his own heavy erection, the tip dewy with moisture. Leaning over, I took him in my mouth, revelling in his sharp intake of breath. His moans of appreciation spurred me on as I worked him fully with my hand and mouth, swallowing around him greedily, his pre come flowing freely. Hearing the click of the lube bottle I held out my hand and felt the slippery coldness trickle across my fingertips. Without losing momentum, I sucked and laved the full length of his flesh until I was nuzzling deeply into his balls. His hand stroked my back as I moved my attention to them, kissing and licking the whole area before drawing one round globe into my hot mouth. His head fell back, his breaths becoming choky and ever more desperate as I showed the same love and attention to its twin.

His stroking rhythm faltered when my slippery fingers circled his puckered entrance. His legs widened further, his knees bowing outward as his feet braced themselves on the seat to hold his position. I took the opportunity to slip a finger into his tightness; to compliment the sensation I sank down onto his rigid cock, taking him into my throat.

My name escaped his lips in a strangled sound, forced out between heaving gasps of pleasure when I slid a second finger into his willing and eager passage. Releasing his cock with a pop, I crushed my lips to his, the kiss almost animalistic in its intensity. My fingers slid free as he rolled me on to my back, straddling me on the seat, his eyes dark and hungry. Reaching for the condom, he grasped my length and pumped me firmly, his thumb swiping across the head on each upward stroke. I swallowed hard, my eyes trying to close as my body vibrated with need. He watched my face the entire time, his lips teasingly close yet just out of reach. He tore open the packet and rolled the latex down my shaft, coating me with lube before wiping his hands clean on his jeans.

I reached out, my hand stroking his beautiful face, sliding into his thick hair and pulling him in for a tender kiss.

“Are you ready, love?”

“Oh yes.”

Leaning forward, he braced his hands and allowed me to guide my cock into his heat as he slowly sank down, adjusting to my girth until his ass met my balls. In the confined space his movements were limited; I gripped his firm ass and lifted him, holding him steady as I pumped upward experimentally. His soft answering ‘Fuck’ told me all I needed to know, and I settled into a steady rhythm, loving the tight, silken grasp of his ass in the restricted position. Adjusting my grip more comfortably, I thrust into him faster for a few moments, hard and fast bunny fucks that had him keening above me, the sweat beading his brow and upper lip. He was a vision of raw, sexual perfection with his eyes squeezed shut and his mouth open in an ‘O’ of pleasure. I ignored the burn in my arms, intent on my goal to make him come from plain and simple fucking. Carlisle’s hands edged closer to my head until I felt his fingers in my hair; his mouth crashed to mine, the kiss wild and primal as our hot, panting breaths grew more and more frantic. Carlisle moved as much as he could; the welcome slap of skin on skin loud in our private bubble as we took on the storm’s ferocity in our frenzied attempt to each drag the other over the edge and into the pit of ecstasy.

My body was on fire; the heat generated by our sweating bodies filled the small space and I was dizzy with feverish passion. Feeling my orgasm building strongly, I pounded Carlisle’s ass with everything I had and was rewarded with his muffled scream of pleasure as warm come splashed over my chest, his body jerking and shuddering. The exquisite grip of his spasming muscles forced me to fill the condom in hot, harsh jets, the relief almost a religious experience. We came down slowly, our breathing slowing from harsh gasps to quiet pants as we regained control, kissing softly and lovingly. When our bodies finally separated, Carlisle collapsed next to me, flushed and sated.

I looked up and grinned when I saw the steamed up windows.

“Mission accomplished, I believe!”

“Absolutely; a job well done.” He chuckled, smiling at me before stretching like a contented cat. “By the way, I like your new car.”

~xxXxx~

After we had cleaned up and dressed, I asked Carlisle what he had been sorting. He looked down for a second, as if gauging what my response might be to his answer.

“The boxes? They hold some of Marcus’ possessions that I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of for the longest time. Today I decided to take another look: I’ve healed now and finally feel I’ve moved on. It’s time to say goodbye to the past and make a fresh start.”

His face was so open, his eyes alight with love.

“Can I help? Or is this something you need to do alone?”

“Most of this can go now. I’ll save a few things, like photos and mementoes of our life together; I hope you understand. I can’t eradicate him from my life – he was so very important. And some day Lauren might like to look back at these memories of her beloved uncle.”

I nodded, my hand squeezing his shoulder.

“Carlisle, it’s okay. You don’t need to worry.” I paused for a moment. “Would he have liked me, do you think? Approved of us together?”

His smile was so genuine and warm that I relaxed instantly.

“He would have approved, believe me, and he would be content that I have found someone else who makes me feel safe and loved again. He told me once that he never wanted me to mourn him. Impossible to agree to of course, as I loved him deeply, but he made me promise to move on, to find love again and have the courage to accept it when I found it.”

His confession was so frank, so heartfelt, that I felt I could share one of my own.

“I’m glad about that. I don’t know if I’d have ever had the nerve to approach you, you know. You were the unattainable fantasy.”

“Talking of fantasies, one of mine just took place in your car.” He chuckled again, slightly pink in the face at the admission.

“I remember. It’s why I suggested it.” I grinned with happiness. “And I hope we can repeat it again in the future. That Mercedes of yours could use a good christening...” I raised an eyebrow teasingly.

His answering eyebrow flash told me all I needed to know.

~xxXxx~

The next morning the rain had stopped, the storm passed. I hoped we would hear about the case today; the lawyers had interviewed everyone, and all we could do was wait for the phone call. Having fallen asleep wrapped around each other, I woke again to a cold and empty bed. Pulling on my robe, I made my way downstairs, checking the garden first this time. Sure enough he was there, dressed, empty cup in hand, staring at the sky as the first tendrils of colour flowed over the horizon.

“This is starting to become a habit.”

His head dropped for a moment before he half turned and looked at me over his shoulder.

“I figured it was better to get up then lie there and fret. Foolish, I know.”

“It’s so early – come back to bed.”

His response was to hold out his hand to me; I grasped it and he pulled me to him until his arm could coil around my waist. I marvelled at the quiet, no traffic, no voices, only birdsong piercing the silence.

We had the world to ourselves and the sun rose just for us.

Everything else could wait until after sunrise. Including speaking to my mother.

~xxXxx~

No comments: