Huge thanks to my beta mxpi1970 for putting up with me, and also to Jasper1863Hale for her help and support.
This chapter’s a little longer than usual for me; my characters decided they had a lot more to say than I originally planned, and I’ve learned not to argue with them!
As always, all characters created and owned by Stephenie Meyer.
~xxXxx~
CHAPTER 15
EPOV
“Mom?”
“Edward! It’s so wonderful to hear your voice! How are you? When are you coming home for a visit?”
“I’m great, mom, and soon, real soon I promise. I’m calling because I’ve got a couple of things to talk to you about; there’s something that I didn’t want to worry you with, and I’m fine now, but I...”
“What is it? What’s wrong? Baby, you’re frightening me.”
My hand was raking my hair as I tried to find the words to tell her about the accident. I had refused to let Emmett call her as there was nothing she could do from Chicago. I knew full well that she wasn’t entirely comfortable travelling alone, and if I had taken a turn for the worse then Emmett would have gone to fetch her from the airport, no question. We had always had a plan in case of emergency, and he had made the correct judgement call to not worry her as I was soon on the mend.
“Uhm, mom, I had a car accident and...” I heard her voice rise in volume as she panicked and I struggled to reassure her, feeling guilty about laying this on her over the phone. “Mom, I’m okay, really I am. I had to have an operation to remove a small blood clot in my head, but it was a routine procedure, I swear. The doctors were wonderful, and I was back home a few days later. All I have to show for it is a shaved patch and some stitches – I look like our old dog Jess did after she ate my GI Joe.”
She wasn’t calming down, and I guess I understood why. I winced as the bombardment of questions continued, and tried my best to appease her.
“You didn’t think to call your mom after you had had surgery? Where was Emmett during all this? I had thought better of him, really I did. I know he’s your friend, Edward, but sometimes that boy can be so...”
“Mom!” I cut her off quickly. “You know you love him, so stop with the chastising. He did what I wanted, okay? The whole thing happened so fast that they just called Emm, and he arrived at the hospital at the same time as the ambulance. I was rushed into surgery and he didn’t want to leave me on my own. Carlisle spoke to him while they waited for me to come out of theatre; Emm has told me all this. If there had been any complications he would have called you but, I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t have wanted him on the road at that point – he was so angry at that other driver. When I woke up he knew he’d made the right decision. I’m sorry, but he and I both knew how scared you would be, and I wanted to wait until I recovered before I told you the details.”
“But you could have died, Edward! And me so far away with no idea until I get the phone call telling me my baby boy is dead!” I could hear her hysteria mounting and struggled to placate her.
“Mom, I’m okay now. Yeah, I lost my short term memory for a while and I was a little freaked out I admit, but I had support to get through it. You would be so proud of my friends, mom, for the way they supported me. And actually, because of the crash, Emmett now has a new girlfriend. She was my nurse; Emmett fell for her big time. They’ve been out on a date and he is totally smitten.”
“It’s about time. That boy’s been single far too long; it’s not healthy.” I smiled, hoping my distraction had worked. “Stop trying to change the subject, Edward! I‘m so angry with you for hiding this from me! You have to understand how a mother feels when her child is in danger – the maternal instinct to protect our babies never goes away, you know.”
I shook my head in defeat.
“Mom, I love you and I’m sorry, I truly am. But I’m okay, and I’m back at work. I even bought a new car yesterday so, as you can see, everything is getting back to normal. Please don’t be mad at me anymore – I can’t bear it when you’re mad.” My voice was wheedling and I knew she couldn’t stay angry for long; it wasn’t in her nature to hold a grudge.
“You’re driving again, so soon after the accident? Please be careful, I’ll be worrying all the time now.”
“If it helps, I bought a Volvo – they do great in crash tests. Emmett is faintly disgusted at my choice but it was he who found the car, and she’s a beauty. Here’s hoping nothing like that ever happens again, yeah? And the accident wasn’t my fault anyway – the other guy was on drugs. It was just bad luck and could’ve happened to anyone.”
She sighed loudly, and I could almost feel her hands straightening my shirt and tidying my hair in her usual, clucky manner. The worst was over, I hoped.
“How’s work going? Is the bar making good money?”
“Yeah, work’s good, mom. The bar is going really well. Not many people are lucky enough to work for their best friend; Emm’s been fantastic during everything that’s happened.” I paused, and she pounced.
“Is there something else you’re not telling me, Edward? I can read you like a child’s picture book. What are you hiding? Have you got some poor girl in trouble because I know I taught you better than that.”
She was freaking out again, and I knew it was time to come clean. My hand tightened on the handset and my eyes clenched shut as I involuntarily curled my legs in closer to my body on the sofa. I cleared my throat.
“I met someone, mom. It’s serious, and I so wanted you two to meet properly face to face. But now there’s a chance you might read about us in the papers, and I needed you to hear the full story from me first in case that happened.”
“In the papers? Edward, who is this girl, and what have you done?”
My head fell forward onto my knees as I tried to find the words. My mouth was dry and my hands were clammy.
“Mom, his name is Carlisle.”
“Who?”
My chest was tightening and I struggled to relax.
“The man I’m in love with. His name is Carlisle, and he’s a doctor. We met at the bar before my accident.” The silence stretched interminably until she spoke again.
“Edward, are you being serious?”
“I’m completely serious. He’s wonderful; I know you’ll like him, there’s no way you couldn’t. Emmett and he get on really well, and in fact Emmett’s new girlfriend is a close friend of Carlisle’s from the hospital. I have all these new friends in my life plus a man I adore.”
I was gabbling the words, inwardly begging her to understand. I looked up and saw Carlisle making tea in the kitchen; he was trying to keep busy but he looked tense, his shoulders hunched and tight.
He’s scared too.
“I’ve never been happier, mom.” When she didn’t answer, I felt compelled to continue.
“I know this is a shock. I’d never considered having a male partner, but he just makes me so happy.”
“Why might you be in the papers?” She sidestepped my explanation, and I guessed we’d be returning to that shortly.
I pondered over how much I actually needed to tell her, before deciding to just explain it all, as best I could.
“Mom, it’s complicated; I need you to listen to me so you can fully understand. Is that okay?”
She responded tersely, never one to take orders no matter how politely they were issued. I started by telling her about Lauren, and our failed relationship; I explained my inexplicable feelings for the handsome man in the bar, and how I had longed to get closer to him. I could tell from her intakes of breath that she was having difficulty with this and I purposefully glossed over all of the intimate details, other than to say we had spent the night together. But it was when I told her who he turned out to be, and heard her quiet gasp of “Oh Edward!” that I felt her disappointment in me weigh heavy on my shoulders.
I spoke about the circumstances leading up to the accident, and how we knew we wanted to be together, despite the unforeseen complications.
It was when I was explaining my amnesia, and my recognition of Carlisle in the hospital, that I heard her crying down the line. I felt awful; no son should ever make his mother cry, whether in pain or disappointment. I was too scared to ask her which was the case. I told her how protective he was of me, and how scared he had been after the surgery. I touched briefly on our first date to the aquarium, how I remembered glimpses of the past, and my later recollection of the crash. When I got to that part she started weeping openly over the phone, and I ached to hug her. I skipped forward, telling her of Lauren’s anger and reprisal which had led to the current inquiry, and our needing to stand together to refute the lies printed in the local press.
I could hear faint snuffling noises when I finished my account of our situation, and I wondered if this would stretch my mother’s love beyond its limits. I could live without her approval if I had to, simply because there was no way I could be without Carlisle, but losing her love, and the thought of her not accepting us as a couple, made my chest ache.
“Mom? Are you still there? Please talk to me.” Her silence scared me. “Mom?”
My voice wobbled uncontrollably as tears threatened. I swallowed them back, determined to be strong. Looking over to the kitchen, my eyes found those of my love as he turned, concern etched over his face at my panicked plea.
Her voice was thick, muddied by tears.
“What would you have me say, Edward? That I’m happy my son will never know the joy of holding his own child in his arms and watching them grow? That I’m never to have the pleasure of watching my son marry in a church?”
I heard her blowing her nose. When she spoke again she sounded more in control, but with an edge of resignation.
“I don’t understand. Growing up, you changed girlfriends like you changed your shirt. How do you know this will be any different? Why are you telling me all about this man now when we both know you’ll probably just change your mind again in a couple of months’ time?”
Her words were like a knife to my chest. My voice was little more than a cracked whisper.
“He’s not a phase I’m going through, or some experiment. He’s my perfect match. I love him, mom.”
My voice rose to a high pitched squeak as the tears finally fell. It was too much for Carlisle, who swiftly entered the room and drew me into his arms. Before I realised it, he had prised the handset from my grasp and raised it to his ear.
“Mrs Masen? My name is Carlisle Cullen, your son’s partner. I’m afraid Edward is too upset to talk any more at the moment, but I think that you and I should talk, sooner rather than later.”
I heard my mother’s voice, unable to make out her reply. Carlisle stayed calm and composed as he stroked my hair and kissed my forehead.
“I can assure you that our relationship is sound; neither of us has any intention of leaving. Your son is a wonderful man, and I am so proud to have him by my side. I know how much he loves you and you him, so why chastise him for falling in love with me?”
I held my breath as I listened to Carlisle’s words.
“I’m arranging a small get together on Saturday evening for Edward’s birthday; I would be honoured if you would agree to come. It would mean so much to Edward, and you and I would have the opportunity to get acquainted. Would you permit me to book you a flight?” He paused, listening. “Very well, we’ll see you then. Contact Edward when you arrive; I’m sure he’ll want to collect you... yes, of course, a cab is fine too. Until then.”
I looked up at him, my eyebrows pinched together in confusion as he laid down the handset.
“Your mother is flying in for your birthday, so it looks like you will have a houseguest this weekend. You and I can celebrate privately afterward; I’ll change our plans.” He smiled reassuringly, his thumbs smudging the wet tracks on my cheeks.
“Thanks; I don’t understand her hostility. Just because I’ve always dated girls she assumes this is a fling, and won’t listen to reason.”
He shook his head. “When she sees us together, and meets our friends, I think that will change. She can’t argue with the facts, my love.”
“I hope you’re right.” I wiped my eyes and tried to push past the phone call. “Changing the subject to a happier topic, can I tell you what I want for my birthday?” He raised an eyebrow and cocked his head. His voice was soft and soothing.
“What do you want? If it’s in my power, you can have it.”
I felt oddly shy about asking for what I wanted.
“I want you to make love to me, to claim me as yours. Will you do it?” I saw his throat work, his voice a little hoarse.
“Are you sure that’s what you want? We haven’t done that since our first night together.”
Pulling myself up so I was level with him, I gazed earnestly into his eyes.
“I know; I want this to be special. I adore making love to you; it’s a privilege to be with you that way, and I want you to have that same experience. Am I making any sense at all?”
“So you’re saying that, on your birthday, you’re giving yourself to me as a present?” I felt myself blush.
“Pretty much; plus on your birthday I know you’ll give yourself to me, so it’s a fair exchange.” I grinned, knowing full well that I’d won. He looked perplexed.
“That’s an awfully long time to wait – my birthday’s in October.”
“Don’t worry – I’m sure I’ll be giving you a preview before then.”
My lips found his and, just for a moment, I melted into him. We both jumped when the phone rang, the sound harsh and discordant.
Our eyes met, and he reached for the handset, answering in his usual formal manner. My eyes never left his face as the caller spoke. Carlisle was almost silent, save for some affirmative noises and the occasional ‘yes’. His eyes closed for a moment, and then a smile spread across his face that spelled relief and joy.
“Thank you, Chief. This afternoon at four, I understand. We’ll be there.” His eyes rose to mine, soft and warm and full of fire.
“Well?”
“The lawyers are happy with all the statements they took, and I am cleared on all counts. The press conference is at four; do you want to ring Emmett to get cover for the bar?”
“Yeah.” I looked at him. “It’s over, isn’t it – finally?”
“Mmhmmm.” He nodded, his lips brushing mine. “I guess this means you’ll be going home tomorrow; you need to clean house before your mom gets here. Has she stayed with you before?”
I rubbed my eyes. “After Emm and I first came out here, she stayed at a bed and breakfast as he and I were sharing his place at the time. I found my apartment a couple of months later, and she’s been over a few times. Obviously, I go home too, for Christmas and holidays, if I’m not working. Emm comes too, usually; his mom and dad aren’t that interested in having their son home for holidays. They told him when he left for college that their job was done in raising him, and he could look after himself now. That hurt him bad. As a kid he spent most of his time at our house anyway; we’re as close as brothers. He tries to keep the lines of communication open, but what chance does he have when they reject him? Don’t tell him I told you. He’ll open up in his own time. That’s another reason I’m glad he found Rosalie; she’ll get all the love he’s been unable to share.”
I hugged him tight, so grateful to have his support.
“Mom will come around, I know it. She has to see what Emmett sees – that we’re meant to be together.”
“I’ll talk to her, don’t worry. And no doubt Emmett will too from what you just said. It’ll all work out, you’ll see. Now call him, and then we need to get ready for the press call later.”
I sat back, thinking hard. “I need some smarter clothes; I have more at home. I’ll fetch them and run an iron over them. I guess I’ll be moving back tomorrow after this is all sorted, if that’s okay. It’ll give me time to air out the apartment and make it look like I’ve been living there the past couple of weeks.” The idea made me inexplicably sad, and I mentally shook myself.
This was only short term. I’m better now – time to go home and give Carlisle his space back.
Picking up the still warm handset, I called Emmett at home.
~xxXxx~
My key rattled in the lock as I opened my front door. The air smelled cold and stale, no fresh fragrance of soap or aftershave to give it that homey scent. Making my way to my bedroom, I glanced into the almost empty box room and saw the rolled up duvet lying neatly on the mattress. The room only ever got used when my mom came to stay, and on the odd occasion when Emmett was too drunk to walk home after a particularly good night of carousing. My own room seemed inhospitable and bleak, the rumpled covers on my abandoned bed adding to the air of desolation all around me.
Stripping the linen from the mattress and duvet, I fetched fresh ones and remade it, ready for my homecoming the next day. Smoothing the covers down, I was reminded of Carlisle remaking the bed on New Beginnings, and how inviting that big bed had looked when he had finished. My mind flashed me pictures of Carlisle in my bed that first wonderful time, and how in that same bed, days later, he had comforted me through my nightmare. It was then that I realised there was no trace of him in this room; no fragrance of cologne or musk to quicken my pulse, no clothes neatly folded over the chair. The room was devoid of the one thing that made my life worth living.
I’ll bring my photograph of us. Then he’ll be here all the time.
Moving slowly, I fetched my best pants and a smart jacket, brushing imaginary lint from the fabric. Laying them carefully over my arm, I closed the door, walking back out to the car without as much as a backward glance.
~xxXxx~
Carlisle looked handsome in his tailored suit. Squeezing his hand tight, I threw him a confident smile; climbing out of the Mercedes, we walked over to where a smartly dressed guy with barely tamed blond curls stood talking to the Chief. As Carlisle approached, they both greeted him with a smile before Carlisle turned to introduce me. I held back, a little unsure of what I should do, but I found myself being introduced to his boss and the lawyer responsible for his vindication. Carlisle was right – the guy was handsome with an easy smile, but, in my biased opinion, he didn’t hold a candle to my love.
At four o’clock the Chief stepped forward and made an inspiring speech about the value of teamwork and trust, and the reputation damage caused by wrongful indictment. The lawyer, Whitlock, then gave the findings of the inquiry in straight facts with no opening for rebuttal from the journalists.
When it came to Carlisle’s turn he gave me a knee weakening smile before walking forward to the microphones and starting to speak. Eloquent and refined, he held his head high as he spoke of the regrettable and unjust charges made against both him and the hospital. Now that the allegations had proved to be unequivocally unfounded, he announced that he would be staying on at Seattle General, and that it was his fervent hope that both he and his partner would be left in peace to get on with their lives, and be permitted to put this whole unpleasant incident behind them.
When Carlisle finished speaking he stepped back; the Press tried to ask more seemingly pointless questions, but Whitlock held up his hand and calmly called an end to the conference. I breathed a sigh of relief when the microphones were lowered and the intrusive flashbulbs finally desisted. Now that it was over I could finally relax.
The Chief shook hands with all of us and told Carlisle he expected him back at work on Friday. When I looked surprised, he simply said that he expected us to celebrate and that he didn’t need a doctor with a hangover in his ER. I chuckled disbelievingly; Carlisle drunk? This I couldn’t wait to see.
Later, in the staff room, Carlisle was met with hugs and congratulations from his close friends who had been able to witness the brief conference. Alice and Rosalie, their faces wreathed in smiles, came over for hugs as he announced our intention to be in the local bar after their shift ended. All were welcome, and we were both looking forward to putting an end to this whole nightmare. I knew that Carlisle was worried about being ‘outed’ publicly, and wanted the chance to dispel the rumours. I hoped that several of his colleagues would show up and be open minded enough to accept him as the same person he had always been.
I nervously wondered what they would make of me in all this.
Checking his watch, Carlisle said we should go and let them get back to work. There was much grumbling as they turned for the door, all eager for the shift to end and the partying to begin. Watching him smile at their retreating backs, I felt relief.
~xxXxx~
We drove back to Carlisle’s to get a bite to eat and to change into less formal clothes for the evening. His whole demeanour was relaxed, his warm hand splayed across my thigh for the duration of the journey. I watched him unashamedly as he drove; the tight lines around his eyes had smoothed out, accentuating the sparkle that now resided there; there was a flush of colour in his cheeks that made my heart sing.
He smiled at my scrutiny, his fingers tightening a fraction on my thigh in response. I voiced the unasked question.
“Do you want me to drive tonight? I want you to be able to relax and let your hair down with your friends.”
Pulling the car into the driveway, he activated the automatic garage door and parked inside next to my Volvo. The door closed behind us and he switched off the engine, turning to me.
“No one is driving tonight. We deserve to relax, and so I’m ordering a cab.” I grinned, my fingers lacing with his.
“Are you saying we can throw caution to the winds tonight and actually have a drink together?”
“I thought we could relax and forget all our troubles. Does that sound good to you?”
I slumped back in the seat, my head lolling around to gaze at him.
“That sounds so good.”
We made our way inside; Carlisle reached for a bottle of whiskey and two tumblers, tipping a small amount into each and passing one to me. Raising his slightly, he made a toast:
“To truth, faith, and love.”
I raised mine and repeated the toast, touching my glass to his before sipping. A bead of whiskey ran down his glass and dripped on to his shirt, to his chagrin. Setting down my glass, I walked over to him with a small smile.
“Again with the wet clothes...” The backs of my fingers caressed his cheek. I leaned in to whisper in his ear, “You better go sponge that so it doesn’t mark.”
I winked at him and he backed away in the direction of the guest bathroom. I let him go, listening for the tell tale rustle of fabric as he slipped off the shirt and tie. I heard the water running as he worked on the shirt followed by the clink of a hanger as he hung it up to air dry. He walked into the kitchen, bare to the waist.
“We should eat before we go out. What do you feel like?”
He started to rummage in the refrigerator, before moving on to the cupboards, the sounds of doors opening and closing echoing around the room. I walked into the room stealthily, watching the muscles in his back flex as he bent forward in a manner that was both delicious and compromising. His attention elsewhere, I waited until it was safe before leaning in and licking the dimple peeking above his belt. As he jumped, my hands ran up the expanse of exposed flesh before me, my thumbs kneading along his spine. As I worked out the kinks in his muscles, I saw his fingers grip the counter, his eyes fluttering shut until I pressed my awakening cock against his bent over form, making sure to align it with his crease.
“Edward, I’m trying to make a snack...”
His words were punctuated by low moans as my tongue flickered up his spine, my warm breath on his damp skin making his breathing uneven.
“We’ll eat later; right now I want a little alone time with you before I have to share you with others.”
He straightened, his face reflected in the window, his eyes finding mine. Before he could turn around, I had unbuckled his belt and loosened his pants. My hand encountered warm, hard, eager flesh as I parted the fabric and grasped him proprietarily.
“Mine...” I whispered in his ear, my hand starting to move, tight and slow.
My fingers tangled into his hair at the same I touched my tongue to the shell of his ear; I felt his gasping shudder when I slid in deeper, surging in and out of the delicate canal. His chest was beginning to heave with effort and he struggled to hold his balance, his knuckles whitening as he tightened his hold on the counter. His helpless groan of acquiescence was all the answer I needed; his head turned and his darkened, lust filled eyes met mine. Leaning in to kiss him, I ran the tip of my tongue along his upper lip before giving in to his silent plea and pressing my hot mouth to his, our tongues meeting like long lost friends. As it always was with him, each kiss transported me to another level, each breath he stole was returned with love as I was granted entry into the gateway of heaven, guarded by his soft lips.
Breaking away, he turned and pushed me against the countertop, his mouth capturing mine once more in another life affirming kiss, his cock pressed against my own. My hand found his bare ass and pulled him tighter to me; I bucked my hips wantonly and we both moaned at the sensation.
He pulled back a fraction and whispered against my lips.
“Loosen your pants and get up on the counter.”
My hands found my buckle and fly automatically as I sank into the depths of his eyes. Reaching behind me, I braced my hands and pulled myself up. His hands deftly drew down my pants and underwear and, stepping in between my spread legs, he reached under my knees and gripped my hips firmly, pulling me closer to the edge.
When his lips wrapped around my cock, I fell back on my elbows and surrendered to pleasure. Unwilling to hold back, my breathless moans and gasps filled the air as he sucked me deep, his tongue swirling and stroking my most sensitive spots, deviating to include my balls and hole as if it were programmed to grant me maximum pleasure. Heat eddied in my stomach, a coiling pressure that threatened to overtake me as I balanced precariously on the brink of climax. My lover’s talented mouth sucked at my cock head as if it were a popsicle, his tongue reaching out to capture the moisture that leaked from my slit. I held on until his tongue tickled the little bundle of nerves at the base of my aching tip; it was then that I felt my orgasm spiralling out of control, bursting free in strong, powerful jets that painted white lines on my stomach. I opened my eyes to see him handling himself forcefully, head thrown back as he neared his peak. His teeth were gritted; his cock twitching as I softly spoke his name. He looked at me then with such naked love in his eyes that my arms reached for him; pulling him into a searing kiss, I felt his whole body convulse as he came in heavy spurts, his come joining mine in a glorious display of passion and unity.
~xxXxx~
When we arrived at the hospital staff’s favourite watering hole, specifically chosen for its close proximity to the hospital itself, we found several friends already there and waiting. Familiar voices rang out from the corner table as we entered, and my eyes immediately went to the girls’ smiles. Carlisle went to see what they were drinking before returning to my side.
“Beer, love?”
“Please.”
I took a seat with the others, and by the time he returned, a few more bodies had arrived; soon there was a respectable turnout. Carlisle put some money behind the bar and everyone had the chance to get a drink before he stood, and tapped a glass for a moment of quiet.
“Thank you, everyone, for coming. I wanted to say a few words to you all following the recent allegations made. As you probably know, I was today cleared of all charges of misconduct and will be returning to work on Friday.”
A ripple of applause went around the group at this announcement. I saw him take a steadying breath before he continued, and I knew how difficult this was for him.
“I’ve never felt the need to explain my private life to colleagues or patients. Nor do I expect others to do the same. But I realise now that you deserve to hear the truth so that your professional faith in me can be restored.”
I wanted to take his hand for reassurance, but I waited with Alice and Rosalie as we had agreed. He looked around at the faces in the small group.
“Yes, I am gay. This was never a secret, simply a fact that seemed irrelevant to my work. Yes, I am in a relationship with a man. We met a while before the accident that put him in the hospital under the care of Dr Anders’. Contrary to what the papers implied, I did not treat him or have any part in his surgery. I would also like to put to rest the accusation made by a patient that I was seen out with another man after the accident. Both were my partner, Edward.”
When he walked around to me, I smiled as I knew that our relationship was finally to be validated in the public eye. As he reached for my hand I stood, blushing hotly as a sea of faces turned to us. I gripped his fingers as a myriad of expressions swirled around us, appraising, judging. I realised that quiet clapping had broken out that quickly gathered momentum. Alice and Rosalie were clapping loudest, before hugging each of us in turn.
Some folk went to the bar to freshen their drinks and, quite possibly, to discuss what they had just heard. I had no idea if any of these people were homophobic, I sincerely hoped not in this day and age. A few of the braver ones came over to me and shook my hand, all telling me what a great guy I had in Carlisle, such a wonderful man. I simply agreed with them; I knew all too well that, when I met that man, I had found what so many people spent their whole lives searching for.
A few people hung back, staring quite openly at me, perhaps calculating the age difference and making erroneous assumptions about my reasons for being with him. Alice leaned into my ear at one point, whispering that several of the nurses were lusting after me. She encouraged me to go say hello, and get to know a few more of Carlisle’s colleagues, and so I did as she suggested. It felt strange at first, but we all got chatting and they told me stories about the other doctors and their nicknames for them. Sipping my beer, I cajoled and pleaded with them to tell me their name for Carlisle. When they finally caved I giggled with them, mentally filing the information away for future use.
Every few minutes I looked over and sought him out, watching him talking and laughing with friends, relaxed and confident in familiar company. Each time I did, he would feel my gaze and look up with a secret smile, the love in his eyes sending warm shivers through my body. I felt him watch me when I walked to the bar, and I resisted the urge to turn around and check until I was holding my beer. Sure enough, his eyes met mine over the rim of his glass before he dragged himself back to the conversation in hand. The furtive gazes and smiles did not go unnoticed, and I saw Alice nudge Rosalie and unobtrusively point in our directions. As I walked back to my seat I met them en route to the ladies’ room; they each rubbed my arm affectionately as they passed, doing the same thing to Carlisle. I watched as he squeezed their hands in response, an easy smile always there for his friends.
When the girls returned they introduced me to an Irish nurse, Alistair, who was part of their group of friends. He was a tall guy, green eyed and dark haired with a heavy growth of stubble. His accent was both melodic and mellifluous; he told stories that made the girls scream with both laughter and embarrassment. Rosalie got her revenge as she told of his inability to boil water, and how he never helped out at their suppers. He used his charm to argue that he was more use in a managerial capacity, and at that point I was amazed he didn’t end up with a vodka tonic in the face. I would warn Emmett to always pull his weight in the kitchen if Rosalie was there.
Another guest arrived at this point; I suddenly realised that Alice was blushing furiously at someone standing behind me. I stood and turned, coming face to face with Whitlock, the lawyer from the hospital. I held out my hand, introducing myself, and he did the same.
“Edward Masen. Thank you for what you did for Carlisle today.”
“Jasper Whitlock and it was a pleasure. He is one popular guy.” His Texan twang was quite noticeable.
“He has loyal friends, and I’m grateful for them. What brings you here? Not that you’re not welcome, of course.”
He ran his hand through his now loose hair and pulled off his jacket, throwing it onto an empty chair and pushing up his shirtsleeves. He was wearing the full three piece suit, and the waistcoat suited him. He had a lopsided grin that felt warm and genuine, and the warmth was reflected in his eyes.
“I, uhm, I’m here to meet a lady.”
It was then that I put two and two together; he moved round to sit with Alice, politely checking to see if she needed a drink. I stood up.
“What can I get you, Mr – sorry... Jasper?”
“Could I get a beer?”
I nodded and looked to Alice. She held out her glass with a giggle, and I took it for a refill. I looked to Rosalie who put her hand over her glass. I mouthed over the noise ‘soft drink?’ She nodded, and I made my way to the now crowded bar.
The volume had risen dramatically, music now playing in addition to the cacophony of voices. Hidden amongst the crowd at the bar, I stole a glance at my man, admiring him as I was sure others did. He looked delicious in his black shirt that he had worn on our first date, and I almost didn’t hear the barman as he delivered my order. Smiling apologetically, I handed over the money and took the change, making my way back to the table.
I went and sat by Rosalie, as she was alone now that Alice and Jasper were deep in conversation. I asked her about the concert and her eyes lit up as she told me about the night, and how much fun they had had. I let her talk, content in the knowledge that Emmett had clearly made her every bit as happy as he was. I told her small snippets about him, nothing too incriminating, but enough to make her giggle. She revealed that he had already won her over when they met, but the two dozen yellow roses in their pretty crystal vases had cemented the deal. I grinned and we made a quiet toast to new relationships.
I lost track of the beers I drank, and was feeling very convivial when Carlisle returned to the table, taking a seat next to me. The evening passed in a flurry of chatter, well meaning questions, and clinking glasses, until we all realised how late it was. The girls had work in the morning, and Rosalie was the driver, having only had one drink at the start of the evening. She offered Jasper a lift too which he accepted graciously. Alice dropped a kiss on Carlisle’s forehead before skipping out of the bar, Jasper’s hand resting on the small of her back. She was on cloud nine. Rosalie wished us goodnight with a wink and followed the happy couple outside.
Carlisle’s head rested on my shoulder, and I wrapped my arms around him, holding him close. I nuzzled his hair.
“We should go; I could get comfortable here and fall asleep.”
He snuggled into me. “Mmhmmm.”
I kissed his cheek, my nose caressing his face as I did so. “Come on, I’ll call a cab.”
I wriggled until I could retrieve my phone from my pocket, and called the cab company. It took the five minutes they quoted to chivvy Carlisle to his feet, weariness and lack of sleep having finally claimed him.
On the ride home he leaned over and kissed my neck.
“Thank you for tonight,” he murmured before nestling into my neck once more with my arm slung around his shoulders.
I woke him from his doze as we pulled up outside the house. I paid the driver and helped Carlisle out of the cab, holding him up as we staggered up the driveway. He tried to unlock the front door with the garage key, giggling the whole time. Shaking my head with a smile, I took the keys from him and unlocked the door, finally getting us inside before he stumbled over the step and almost fell headlong into the hall table. Hauling him upright, I helped him to the kitchen and urged him drink some water.
“How many did you have? You’re going to feel lousy in the morning.”
I had lost count of the drinks his colleagues had bought us. I knew my tolerance was pretty high, but it appeared that Carlisle’s was most definitely not. He was going to suffer horribly in the morning, and I made a mental note to come down and fetch some paracetamol and water before he woke. Knowing that rehydration was key after a heavy night, I got him to down the glass of water.
As I helped him up the stairs, I wrestled with his wandering hands trying to get my clothes off. When I finally stilled his questing fingers, his eyes were reproachful.
“You’re in no fit state,” I mock scolded, and then bit the inside of my mouth to keep from laughing as his lower lip wobbled endearingly. I sighed.
I got him undressed, after a further tussle over my own clothes, and put him in his bed, pulling off my own shirt. He grinned, a dirty chuckle escaping his throat. As I unbuckled my belt and released my zipper, his wide eyes magnified his excitement; I kicked my pants away and went to get into bed in my underwear as there was no way that sex was on the agenda tonight.
The alarm on his face was comical when he realised. I shook my head, snapping the elastic on my briefs teasingly. His eyes were bright, egging me on, and so I turned and bent to the floor, pulling them down in one swift movement. Turning to the bed with a flourish, I saw that his eyes had drifted closed and so, smiling wryly, I climbed into bed next to him.
As I closed my eyes I heard him mutter,
“Stay.”
I laughed quietly.
“Of course I’m staying; there’s no way I’m driving anywhere tonight.”
I reached for him, pulling him close and pressing a soft kiss to his lips.
As he slipped into slumber I heard him mumble,
“No. Stay forever.”
~xxXxx~
No comments:
Post a Comment