Thank you to my beta mxpi1970 and to my pre reader Jasper1863Hale for their help and support.
Hope this longer chapter makes up for the wait. Next update will be in January, as I have much to do now to prepare for the festive season.
Merry Christmas to all my friends and readers.
As always, all characters created and owned by Stephenie Meyer.
~xxXxx~
CHAPTER 16
CPOV
There was someone hammering in the room. I couldn’t work out why, only that it was too loud and they needed to stop.
Peeling open my eyes, the first thing I saw was a glass of water, a couple of white tablets next to it; I groaned, remembering then why I felt so bad. My eyes creaked in their sockets as I looked at the clock – 10:40am. Edward’s arm lay loosely across my chest, his even breathing telling me he was still sleeping, although logic dictated that he must have gotten up in the last hour or so to fetch me water as the glass was still cold. Shifting my upper body just enough, I was able to swallow the tablets with a hefty gulp of water before falling back against the pillows, causing Edward to stir. He snuggled in tighter to me, his nose in my neck, and an unexpected wave of loneliness flowed over me as I realised just how much I was going to miss waking up next to him every morning.
Thinking back to the night before, I smiled as I remembered the support of my dear friends after my announcement. Edward had looked so handsome, and had both spoken to, and won over, many of my colleagues and acquaintances, his easy wit and beautiful face making him an instant hit with men and women alike.
I had spent the evening dying to touch him, hold him, but knowing that it wasn’t the appropriate forum to be so free with our affections. I couldn’t begin to deny the immense pull I had felt, having him so close and yet out of reach. I didn’t remember much about getting home, but, judging by my headache, I had had far more to drink than was customary for me.
I realised I was wearing my underwear; our last night living together as such, and we hadn’t made love. Now, until I felt more human, we wouldn’t be able to again as I could barely lift my head. However, it was clear that my morning wood hadn’t got the memo.
Edward stirred again and pressed his lips sleepily to my neck, sending little shivers beetling across my skin, and far more urgent messages to my groin. Taking his hand I slid it down to my problem, realising he was awake when I heard his raspy whisper in my ear.
“Need a little help with that?”
No response was necessary as his warm hand flicked aside the fabric and took possession of his prize. His touch elicited a contented hum of agreement as he moved it in a firm rhythm, his thumb spreading the escaping fluid down my shaft. As he worked my cock I turned my thumping head on the pillow toward him, inviting him in for a morning kiss which he happily delivered. His tongue flickered at mine playfully before plunging deeply and I could not suppress my needy moan, all my erogenous zones awake and clamouring for satisfaction. Watching my eyes now, he increased his pace, knowing how to draw out my climax for maximum pleasure. When I approached the brink he slowed, watching the desperation in my eyes as I tried to fight against it. His lips were at my ear, whispering promises of pleasure as he brought me to the edge again before denying me the joy of release. Determined to circumvent his plan, once the stroking recommenced I thrust up into his grip, battling against the pain in my head as I forced my body toward the point of no return. However, before I could reach it, his lips moulded themselves to mine, rendering mute my pleas for mercy.
His tight fist brought me up a final time and I finally rode the wave that would lead to the bliss I craved. Before my blurry mind could comprehend, he curled round and engulfed my throbbing cock in his hot mouth, sinking down. The sight of my cock sliding down his throat flicked the switch inside me; my toes curled and my back arched as my orgasm hit, pleasure exploding from the soles of my feet to the roots of my hair. My come streamed down his throat, and he swallowed eagerly. As my cries subsided, my body relaxed back onto the bed, blood pounding through my head in sync with my still pulsing cock.
Wiping his chin with his hand, he slid back up the mattress and cradled my head to his chest.
“Good morning, love. How’s the headache?”
I smiled, despite the pain.
~xxXxx~
When I woke later, my head over on his pillow, I realised I was alone. Forcing myself upright, I pulled up my underwear as I moved unsteadily toward the bathroom. I found him there, packing his shaving equipment and wash bag. I swallowed hard, feeling my heart constrict.
“Getting ready to go home?”
He nodded, not meeting my eyes as he closed the zip on the bag. There were shadows under his eyes, and I wondered if they were down to more than just our heavy night. I brushed my teeth and washed my face, squinting at my reflection, noting the dark circles and puffiness there. The Chief had made the right call about today – I looked dreadful and felt worse. Flipping on the shower, I staggered inside, leaning against the tiles with a muffled sigh as the hot jets pounded my body.
A few seconds later, the door opened and Edward stepped inside. His hair was already damp; he must’ve already taken his shower. Before I could ask, gentle hands propped me against the wall, reaching for the shower mitt and shower gel. As I stood in a stupor, he tended to me, washing me so carefully, rinsing off the soap when he was done. I heard the click of a bottle cap followed by the fragrance of my favourite shampoo. Rubbing it between his hands, he massaged my aching head gently. Working it through my hair, I found the light scratching of his nails an unbelievably pleasurable experience. He encouraged me to tilt back my head and allowed the jets to rinse out the suds until I was all shiny and new again.
As we stepped outside, he reached for the dry towel and patted me down, squeezing the water out of my hair. When he was done he winked at me, dropping a kiss on my forehead, and started to dry himself off again. I located my robe and padded downstairs to find coffee. As I waited for it to percolate, I struggled to create some order in my jumbled thoughts.
His mother was coming; she and I badly needed to talk and hopefully resolve her issues over our relationship. Edward’s birthday surprise was postponed until later in the week; I had managed to provisionally reschedule, but would need to confirm the dates as soon as possible. The party would be at my house; I would get his mom over here beforehand and hopefully we could talk then. I needed to confirm the party times with Emmett, Rosalie, Alice and Alistair... there was someone else but I couldn’t recall who I was missing. I also decided to talk to Esme; it would be a perfect chance for the two of them to get reacquainted in a relaxed environment. I bit my lip. I didn’t want to overwhelm him though, a party was meant to be fun, especially on a day as important as his 21st birthday.
And, of course, Edward was moving back home...
This last point cast a pall over the days ahead until we were able to celebrate his birthday on our own.
When the coffee was ready, I took a long sip and waited until everything came back into focus. I heard Edward upstairs, collecting his clothes, zipping his bag, followed by his slow footfalls on the stairs.
It felt final.
It felt completely wrong.
My fingers raked my damp hair. When his mother’s visit was over, I needed to talk to him, be honest with him, and pray I didn’t scare him off.
I wanted him here with me – always. Nothing else made any sense.
He dropped his bag in the hallway and walked into the kitchen, taking the cup of coffee I proffered. Neither of us spoke, a million unsaid words hanging in the air. Setting down his untouched coffee, he pulled me into a fierce hug that I returned with equal intensity. His warm breath fanned my ear.
“I love you.”
“I love you more.”
We kissed, a desperate, heartfelt kiss, which spoke far more than mere words could convey.
As our arms loosened, he turned for the door, hesitating briefly.
“So, I’ll see you Saturday afternoon? Text me when you’re ready for mom and I to come over.”
“I will.”
And then he was gone; the last sound I heard was the garage door closing as his Volvo pulled away.
I stood alone in my empty house, gripping the counter tightly for balance as my vision abruptly disappeared behind a blurry veil.
~xxXxx~
EPOV
(Stay forever).
I served the customers, took their money, chatted with regulars and cleaned down the bar; anything and everything to keep busy.
But there were dangerous lulls, moments that allowed the echo of my thoughts to be heard.
(Stay forever).
I breathed deep, trying to steady the rush of adrenalin that spiked my system at the memory.
That morning, as I was fetching the glass of water for Carlisle, my eye caught the framed photo of us, heads together, that sat atop the polished piano. In all the drama that had happened over the last few days, I hadn’t had a copy printed and I needed that picture; I needed the reassurance of having part of him in my apartment at all times. Slipping off the back of the frame, I carefully removed the picture, hoping he wouldn’t mind.
I wondered if he had found the key I had left for him there by the empty frame. I had no idea if he would actually use it, but it felt only right that he have the option, the same as me. My home was his home too.
I had stopped off at the market on the way home, restocking my empty refrigerator with fresh produce and disposing of what else remained in there. Quite frankly, I was amazed it hadn’t grown legs and made its own way out. I had aired out the small rooms as best I could in the time available and, by the time I had gotten ready for work, the apartment smelled a little more lived in. My picture was propped behind my alarm clock, the last thing I would see when I went to sleep at night, and the first thing when I woke in the morning.
When I finished my shift I drove home, had a hot shower, and made myself some eggs with cheese. Sitting down to eat in silence, I found myself wondering how he was, and if his hangover had gone. I fought the urge to call him as it was so late, instead checking my phone for any messages I may have missed. Seeing none, my heart sank.
You left this morning. This neediness is not an attractive quality.
Despite my stern inner monologue, I found myself longing for Saturday, even though the whole day was overshadowed by mom’s visit to meet Carlisle. There was a risk that two of the three people I loved most in the world might not get on, and I didn’t know how I would cope if that were the case. I tried not to worry too much, trusting in them to find a way to make this work.
Going to sleep in my own bed proved trickier than anticipated. When I closed my eyes, I reached for him; when I opened them again I turned to look at the picture of us snuggled together, feeling his loss acutely.
(Stay forever).
Hearing his words in my head all day, I knew I had to find a way to broach the subject. I had to know if that was what he really wanted, or whether it was just a kneejerk reaction to my moving home after he had just come out to his colleagues, and feeling at his most vulnerable. When I rolled over to grasp the cold pillow, my eyes caught something that hadn’t been there before. Two silver framed pictures stood on the nightstand on the far side of the bed (Carlisle’s side, my treacherous brain reminded me). One was a framed copy of the one I had borrowed; the other, the shot of us kissing, made my heart falter. At the same instant I caught the faintest trace of his cologne on the pillow, as if his wrist had brushed over it.
He found the key.
I smiled, eyes closing as I inhaled his familiar scent, feeling happier in the knowledge that he had been here. Sleep didn’t come for the longest time, but when it did I dreamed of Emmett refereeing a boxing match of sorts between what appeared to my mother in army fatigues and pink rubber gloves, toting a sniper rifle, and Carlisle in his white coat, stripes of camouflage paint across each cheek, wielding a bayonet-sized syringe.
As Emmett counted them in, I woke up in a panicked sweat.
So, nothing to worry about there then.
~xxXxx~
Waking up the next morning, I felt like reconstituted crap. I had slept thinly, my rest interspersed with bad dreams, my body missing Carlisle’s reassuring presence.
I checked the clock – 8 o’clock. I remembered that he had worked the night shift last night, and wasn’t due home til lunchtime. As my shift didn’t start til 12, I decided to leave him a gift.
Heading to the kitchen, I turned on the oven and grabbed the ground beef from the fridge, raiding the cupboards for the rest of the ingredients for a lasagne. In no time I was sautéing the beef and onion, and adding the sauce. I hoped he didn’t mind that it wasn’t from scratch; I could guarantee it would still taste good despite the canned lasagne sauce. Building the layers, I finished by adding generous handfuls of grated cheese to the top, licking a spot of sauce from my finger. Checking the clock, I slid it into the oven and headed off to shower and change for work.
Wrapping the still hot dish securely in a towel, I drove out to Carlisle’s. Letting myself into the quiet house, I placed the dish into the oven, folding the towel up and placing it on the counter. The house would smell delicious when he came home. Remembering how happy he had made me, I made my way upstairs to our ... his... room and sprawled out on the bed, making sure to rub my neck on his pillow to leave my cologne as a memento. I hoped it would help him get some sleep; if he was missing me half as much as I missed him, then he had to be pretty tired today.
Job done, I was about to leave when I glimpsed the piano and flexed my fingers, a smile breaking across my face. I immediately noticed the replaced photo and turned the frame around to face me as I played, the music flowing from my fingers as I gazed at my muse.
All too soon, however, it was time to head off to work.
~xxXxx~
The shift passed uneventfully; I checked periodically for messages from Carlisle but found none. I guessed he must have just been glad to get home and sleep and I couldn’t begrudge him that after a hard shift.
Emm left a couple of hours before closing, taking the books with him.
There’s a fun night waiting to happen.
Riley collected glasses while I cleaned down the bar, and together we bottled up and filled the dishwasher. After sending him off home, I worked my way around the room, putting the stools up on the tables.
I had just finished sweeping up the spilled chips on the floor and had turned out the lights in the back, when the knocking started.
I called back.
“We’re closed!”
The persistent knocking came again.
“We’re closed, buddy. Come back tomorrow.”
“Edward?”
My head whipped round and I walked swiftly to the door, wrenching back the locks and throwing it open to find my lover standing there, looking at me like I was an oasis in the desert.
“I missed you.”
His voice was husky, resonating through my body. Stepping back on shaky legs, I let him in, managing to close the door before he pulled me into an intense kiss that I returned with equal ferocity. There, in the darkness, we attacked each other in that doorway as if this could be our last night together; some desperate, clandestine meeting under cover of nightfall. My hands slid under his shirt, craving his tight, warm flesh under my touch, as I backed him up against the wall, pinning him in place with my body. His arms coiled around my shoulders, pulling me into him tighter still, and I felt his erection, hard and urgent against my stomach as he crushed his mouth to mine in heavy, bruising kisses that made my heart try to beat its way out of my chest.
I knew how badly he wanted me because I wanted the exact same thing. Almost against its will, my head rolled back to allow him access to my throat; his lips whispered down the bared expanse of my neck sending tremors down my spine. Through laboured breaths I ground out the words.
“Are you sure you want to do this here?”
His hot mouth captured mine once again and I surrendered completely, blood roaring in my ears as his tongue lovingly caressed my own in a timeless mating dance. The only sounds in the room were our gasping breaths and the soft, sucking sounds of feverish kisses as we each succumbed to the gravitational pull of the other.
“I’m sure.” His tongue painted a trail of fire down my throat, his whispered words my undoing. “Lock the door.”
On watery legs I stumbled to the door and threw the bolts into place. Feeling him behind me, his breath on my neck, I leaned back against him letting his hands wander all over my body while his tongue flickered at the shell of my ear. I shuddered as sparks fizzed and burned along my nerve endings, dimly remembering that I had done the almost exact same thing to him yesterday. This was sweet revenge of the most delicious kind.
Nuzzling my ear, he whispered the words that made me fall apart.
“Lunch was delicious, but right now I’d rather taste you.”
He pulled my shirt over my head, his hands falling to cup my ass, leaving me in no doubt as to his appetite. He walked me backwards to the bar and had me lean against it while he freed me from my pants. Telling me to step out of them, he then directed me to straddle the high bar stool.
“Knees apart, Edward; now stretch forward over the bar, hands forward.”
I did as he asked, feeling my ass lift away from the stool, my cheeks parting to reveal my hidden treasure. His sharp intake of breath told me he liked what he saw. His slow, seductive tone hypnotised me.
“I could take you like this; open you up and give you what you asked for. Would you like that, Edward?”
I couldn’t speak, fear mixing with heady exhilaration. His hands stroked my back, caressing the angles of my shoulders and hips, trailing down my spine and pausing right above my ass cleft. His voice was smooth as silk.
“I’m going to make you want me so badly that, when I finally take you again, you’ll be begging me not to stop. Does that sound good?”
I felt fingertips glance idly down my spine, the hairs on my body standing to attention, shivers racing down my arms. The stroking became more deliberate, the backs of his fingers rhythmically gliding up to my neck and then down to the curve of my back. I tried to control my heavy breathing, to keep it even and steady, but his lazy, yet proprietary, mannerisms amped up my arousal, leaving me in fear of losing any grip I had on my self control. His palms smoothed down my sides, making me jerk in surprise when they swept down over my proffered ass, a feathery light touch ghosting up between my cheeks. I groaned and, despite my hesitation, I arched my back and pushed my ass out as much as I could toward my tormentor.
The fluttering tip of his tongue against my opening made me cry aloud in surprise, and, out of sight, I felt Carlisle smile. He then worked my tender flesh, flat strokes of his tongue bathing the tight muscle in warmth, circling, lapping and gently probing, his hands holding me in position as he pleasured me.
I mewled and pushed back into him, knuckles whitening as I clung to the bar, my nails scrabbling for purchase on the smooth wood as I sank into pleasure. My mouth was open in a silent scream; my eyes squeezed shut and my hand gripping my cock, pulling it in time to his thrusting tongue. When he pressed in a finger I started at the intrusion, missing the warm wetness of his tongue. He worked me so carefully with that digit, twisting and circling inside me, igniting sparks of dark pleasure under my skin. I was finding it very difficult to hold still, needing to move, to encourage, to come. When the finger withdrew, I braced both my hands on the bar top but nothing happened; in confusion I sat back on the stool and looked around at him, taking in the darkness of his eyes, the straining at his groin.
I groaned when his hand found my cock, massaging my aching shaft. I leaned back into him, moaning, hips undulating. His voice was silky when he spoke, his nose brushing my ear, fanning flames of longing.
“I want you to be ready when we do this again, love. And now you know just how badly you can want it, hopefully you won’t be nervous when we do.”
I was confused.
“So, we’re not...?”
“Not tonight, not like this. I just wanted to warm you up to the prospect, to be sure of your decision. And I want you to be somewhere comfortable as I intend to take my time; your arms would’ve given out before I was anywhere near done here...”
He grinned wolfishly.
My chest was heaving erratically, my heart pounding.
“That...” I gulped. “That was just mean!”
Dropping down from the stool, I reached for him, crushing his mouth to mine, my hand at his groin possessively.
“So what are we doing about this, hmmm?”
My mouth slid wetly down his neck, nipping at the muscle before soothing the marks with my tongue.
“I think someone needs to be taught a lesson about how wrong it is to tease.”
I felt his sharp exhale on my neck as he understood my inference. Nuzzling his ear, I whispered:
“There’s a condom in my wallet.”
“Allow me.”
In his hand lay a condom and a foil packet of lube. I took them, raising a quizzical eyebrow.
“So prepared – were you hoping I’d punish you for your actions, Dr Cullen? Because I assure you I intend to. Now take off your pants and brace yourself against the bar.”
He did as I asked, his eyes locked to mine. I palmed my cock, feeling the precome leaking freely from the rosy tip. Tearing open the packet with my teeth, I smoothed the rubber down my shaft and then tore into the other packet, coating both my cock and fingers with lube.
His forearms were resting on the stool, his hands braced against the edge of the bar. His ass was ready, cheeks parted and delicately flushed as I rubbed my slippery fingers against his pucker, slipping them in with little resistance.
Oh, you want it bad. And you’re going to get it.
Not wasting any time, I withdrew my fingers and pressed the head of my cock against his tightness, pushing in and hearing his guttural groan as I stretched him open. I gripped his cheeks, spreading him wide so I could watch his willing ass take my length with ease, the lube making his stretched skin shiny and enticing. I saw his whitened fingertips press against the wood, and heard his long, low moan of pleasure when I was deeply seated inside.
“Now you brought this on yourself, you know; you have to know that teasing isn’t kind, Dr Cullen.”
I pulled back, almost withdrawing from his velvet grip before pushing forward hard with a grunt. Carlisle’s breath huffed out of him as my balls made contact with his ass, and I smiled.
“I know you won’t enjoy this at all, but I can assure you I will...”
I pumped into him fast, my foot balanced on the stool’s foot rest for leverage. His groans and gasps were spurring me on; I pulled his hips up so his back arched down further, and was rewarded with even more depth for the taking. Slowing my movements, I rocked into him, my thumbs massaging the little pleasure centre beneath his balls that made him moan and beg. When I saw his head fall forward I knew that all coherent thought had ceased, primal stimulation had become all consuming.
I reached for his cock and stroked it in time to my lazy thrusts. He hissed as my forefinger slid over the swollen tip, drawing light circles across it. Leaning over his back, I flexed my hips and ploughed into his tight ass, grunting with effort at the restricted position. Carlisle’s breathing was raspy, incoherent words falling from him as our bodies slammed together. Without releasing his cock, I pushed myself up and gripped him under his hips, feeling the tightness of his balls against my hand as he neared release.
Through gritted teeth I ground out the words.
“I want you to come; come for me, love.”
In response I heard whimpers and curses, mingled with jerky, breathless affirmations as he came hard, covering my hand in warm streams.
I pounded into him again and again, crying out desperately as my own orgasm burned through me, white hot and never ending. My cock pulsed long after had I finished coming and could finally persuade my lungs to accept oxygen again.
I slid from him, leaving him slumped across the stool, coming down from his high. Ducking behind the bar, I found a clean cloth and wiped my hands clean. I saw Carlisle look up as I picked up our scattered clothes from the floor, handing him the towel to finish cleaning himself up. We dressed quickly, unable to stop smiling every time our eyes met.
As we slipped out the back door and I locked up for the night, Carlisle whispered to me.
“Perhaps best we don’t tell Emmett about our little adventure?”
I held up the towel, the only evidence of our crime, and grinned.
“Agreed.”
~xxXxx~
Today’s the day.
I had made sure the kitchen was clean and that there were fresh flowers in the spare room. The bed was freshly made, everything ready for mom’s arrival.
I knew her plane touched down at 12:30pm and I was waiting for her call when she reached baggage claim. I breathed deep to calm myself. The clock showed 11:45; not long now. I was jittery, even without my morning coffee; I drank another couple of gulps then tipped the rest down the sink.
Being with Carlisle last night had helped immensely. I had slept soundly, any dreams I may have had not hanging around to be remembered on waking. Carlisle had laughed when I told him about the dream, telling me it would all work out. I wish I shared his faith.
It was all systems go for the party tonight and I hoped the air would be clear by then. There was nothing worse than an uncomfortable atmosphere polluting a celebration; it was the fastest way to ensure your guests indecently early and talked about you the entire drive home. I checked my watch again and sighed.
The phone chirped, startling me out of my reverie.
“Mom?”
“No, it’s Emmett.”
“Oh hey, Emm; Sorry, I forgot to check the display and I’m waiting for mom to call.”
“You with the doc?” He sounded a little off, not like Emmett at all.
“No, I’m home. You okay?”
“Sure. Just checking you had no problems after I left last night.”
“No, none; you still okay for the party tonight? Sorry about today – mom coming kinda threw me. You are bringing Rosalie, right?”
“You bet!” I could hear the grin in his voice at the mere mention of her name.
“Great; so here’s hoping it’s a good night.”
“It’ll be awesome! It’s your 21st, dude!”
Awesome? Here’s hoping.
Mom didn’t call and I assumed the flight had been delayed. When the doorbell buzzed, I jumped. I opened the door to see her standing there, looking just like always; her hair styled, slight touches of grey at the temples that, knowing mom, she wore with pride. She had never suffered from an excess of vanity all her life although she took care of herself and always looked smart.
But today she looked a little... ruffled.
Dropping her luggage, she pulled me into a tight hug, the smell of her perfume familiar and comforting as I hugged her back. Picking up her small suitcase, I ushered her inside and closed the door.
“Can I get you a coffee, mom? I know you don’t like the drinks they serve on the plane.”
“I’d love one, but I’ll make it.” She headed off to my small kitchen and flicked on the kettle. “Are you working today or has Emmett given you the time off?”
“Yeah, I’m off today; plus there’s the party tonight. Emm will be there with Rosalie.”
She said nothing, just opened cupboards to find coffee and clean cups.
And I waited for the inevitable.
We both sat down, clutching a cup of my local store’s finest instant.
And I waited.
We sipped in silence. Then she set her cup down on my small table, tutting at the lack of coasters.
I smiled, despite myself.
Breathe.
“So, this doctor; tell me about him.”
I felt my hands clench on the cup and forced them to relax.
“What do you want to know, mom?”
She gave me a glance that answered that question.
Everything.
“Okay. Carlisle is a doctor in the ER at Seattle General. He has an ex-wife who he is on excellent terms with, and a daughter, Lauren, who I was dating, as you know.”
“She’s 18?”
I nodded.
“And so this doctor...”
“Carlisle,” I gently corrected.
“He’s what age, Edward; my age? Older?”
“He’s 36; he’ll be 37 in October.” I smiled to myself. “He and Esme had Lauren when they were young. They married straight out of school.”
She looked surprised, and I wondered if she had envisioned a guy of 45 or 50. I wasn’t denying that Carlisle would still be hot as hell at that age too, but, even so, he wasn’t old at all. She sipped her coffee again.
“Younger than I expected, I admit, but still too old for you. 16 years, Edward! You need someone your own age. You’re far too young to settle for someone so much older; you should be out having fun or you’ll be old before your time.”
I had expected this and tried to be calm. After all, I knew she was just worried about me.
“Mom, you had a baby when you were my age. Why does a difference in age matter? I’m happy, happier than I’ve ever been. We both are. You’ll see.”
She didn’t look reassured and I could see that this wasn’t over. I stood up and carried her suitcase to her room. Leaving her to get settled, I sat on my bed and texted Carlisle to tell him mom had arrived.
He responded quickly.
*Party starts at 8 – come over before the others get here so the three of us can talk.*
Before I could confirm, the phone bleeped again.
*Last night was amazing. I love you.*
My smile blossomed despite my worry. I couldn’t help but agree with that statement.
~xxXxx~
The cab dropped us outside Carlisle’s driveway a little after 7pm. I could see mom’s face as she took in his beautiful home.
“It’s beautiful inside too.”
She looked at me askance.
“Before you think it, he isn’t rich but he is comfortable. When his partner passed away he left everything to Carlisle; he bought this house to make a fresh start.”
I walked up the drive and turned to see mom following me. I lifted my hand to knock when the door opened, and there stood my man looking sexier than ever in what looked like oh god help me a brand new black dress shirt and black pants. I permitted my eyes a leisurely trip up and down, deeply approving of what I saw. His grin lit up his face and I had to force myself not to rush into his arms. I had to get him alone at some point tonight, if only for a few precious minutes.
Stepping aside, I introduced him to my mother.
“This is my mom, Elizabeth Masen; mom, this is Carlisle Cullen.”
He smiled warmly and beckoned us inside. I stepped back, letting mom enter first. Walking through to the lounge room, I noticed the furniture had been pushed back, clearing a large empty space in the centre of the room, the sofas arranged around so everyone could still chat. A table had been moved to the wall, for food maybe? My piano however, was still in its place by the doors, our picture atop it.
Carlisle beckoned us over to the nearest sofa. My mom’s eyes had seen the piano and widened.
“Do you play, Dr Cullen?”
“Carlisle, please; and no, the piano is Edward’s. I love to hear him play.”
I felt the need to explain.
“I’m renting it and keeping it here, mom. It was Carlisle’s idea as he has the space.”
“Actually, I wanted to talk to you about that.”
I turned to him in confusion, noting his sparkling eyes.
“What are you saying?”
“Well, I was thinking long and hard about your gift, it being such a landmark birthday. Nothing seemed quite good enough, and so I...” He bit his lip, looking rather nervous.
My eyebrows knitted together in a frown as I tried to guess what he was getting at.
“Having seen how much you love it, I went back and struck a deal with the owner. The piano’s yours, my love; happy birthday.”
My jaw all but hit the floor. I had expected him to say he had paid a year’s rental or something crazy like that. But this - this was... insane!
“You – you bought it? But you paid rental on it...”
He chuckled, hands on hips, looking relieved.
“Is that what you’re worried about? It was deducted from the price. The owner wasn’t remotely surprised that I came back, you know. He said he just knew it was a matter of time before it became yours.”
My mouth was opening and closing wordlessly and, forgetting that my mother was in the room, I threw my arms around him, thanking him over and over, my voice cracked with emotion. Despite badly wanting to kiss him in that moment, I restrained myself and rubbed my thumb over his lower lip. His breathing hitched at the intimate gesture, and our eyes locked for a long moment before I remembered we weren’t alone.
He cleared his throat.
“Mrs Masen, can you I get you a coffee or a tea? Then I think we should talk, don’t you?”
Mom looked a little thrown.
“Coffee for me, please, no sugar. Thank you.”
“Tea, Edward?”
I nodded, and my mom looked at me, eyebrows raised. I looked down, smirking and sat down on the sofa, waiting for Carlisle.
“So, mom; first impressions?”
“He seems very nice, but that gift is too much. You can’t accept it – you’ll be beholden to him if you do.”
Forever and a day, I hope.
“I can’t accept it? I didn’t ask for it; he did it to make me happy. How can that be a bad thing? And yeah, so I can’t do something that big for him on his birthday, but I’ll make it special in a different way. Would you rather he return it and I rent it again?”
“Perhaps your mother would like to hear you play?” I hadn’t heard him re-enter carrying two cups.
I knew he wanted to talk to my mom privately, and this was his way of giving me a little distance from the conversation, even if I could hear every word. I nodded at his suggestion.
“That’s a great idea. Any requests, mom?”
She shook her head, looking at Carlisle untrustingly. Forcing myself to move, I walked over and settled at the keys. I opted for a little Michael Ortega, and played as if I were alone, allowing the music to carry me away from the conversation taking place on the sofa. I heard snatches of speech, mostly my mother, despite the music.
“Dr Cullen, please understand that I’m not against you two as a couple – I’m not some homophobe....”
“I worry that Edward is young and doesn’t know what he wants...”
“...you’re closer to my age than his.... is this really what you want - to be a father figure?”
“...better off with someone your own age...”
I shook my head, playing louder in an attempt to block it all out.
Carlisle’s voice was calm, explaining that how we felt wasn’t some passing fancy, that it was real. I fought back tears, not wanting to show weakness like a child.
“... not throwing money at him like a child; he is entitled to a wonderful birthday and I wanted...”
“I understand that you have reason not to trust me, after all, I am a stranger to you...”
“...the circumstances were less than ideal, I agree, but we fell in love, and....”
“I assure you I would never toy with his feelings...”
“With all due respect, I know how much you love him, and he loves you...
“...mature enough to make his own choices...”
...the fact remains that I love him very much, Mrs Masen...”
Their conversation was going nowhere, no matter how Carlisle tried to defend us. I couldn’t deny that it hurt, that my mom couldn’t trust my choice; she believed it to be foolhardy, doomed to end in failure.
I was relieved when the doorbell rang, effectively ending the stalemate.
~xxXxx~
Emmett greeted my mom enthusiastically, introducing her to Rosalie. I could see that mom approved, and she patted his cheek in congratulation, making him blush like a little boy. I loved how close they were. With them were Alice and, no surprises, Jasper Whitlock, the lawyer. He looked a little unsure if he would be welcome, but Carlisle looked delighted to see him, and Alice looked radiant.
Alistair arrived a little later, with a rather beautiful young man he introduced as Liam. Another nurse, it turned out.
Last to arrive was Esme, and I felt very hesitant in going up to talk to her. We agreed that this wasn’t the time to go over old ground, but that we would meet soon to talk properly, the three of us. Her smile was warm as she let slip that she had never seen Carlisle so happy, and that she could never be mad at me for that. We shared a tentative hug, and I hoped we could one day mend our differences and move on.
I opened presents amid much laughter as they turned out to be useful things like bottles of scotch and boxes of condoms, amongst other things, bought especially for my upcoming birthday surprise apparently. My mother’s eyes widened and she quickly looked away. I felt bad but, to be fair, I couldn’t be held responsible for a gift from friends. Emmett gave me one other gift, a small flat packet with strict instructions to not open until Carlisle and I were alone. Curiosity piqued, I agreed and stashed the gift away in a drawer.
It turned out that Carlisle had hired caterers, and the most wonderful food had appeared from the kitchen. People were tucking in, laughing and getting to know each other, and I hoped mom would be okay. I could see Emmett telling stories from our childhood to Rosalie and mom joining in; things looked hopeful.
The dancing was soon in full swing, Emmett and Rosalie twirling and dipping, their happiness evident to all in the room. My mom was smiling fondly as she watched them, and I knew how badly she wanted him to be happy; god knows, she’d been a second mother, a better mother, to him since he was small and had first come home with me when his dad decided he should go hungry for not scoring well on a test. My mom was having none of that. Emmett would eat with us and then go home to his room for the night, his parents never any the wiser. I wondered how much of it he remembered and how much he had blocked out; we never spoke of it, but he and my mom were always close after that.
Esme was talking to Carlisle, their body language comfortable and familiar. She had her hand on his arm and was smiling up at him as he blushed and looked my way. I couldn’t control the involuntary smile that spread across my face; when Esme turned and smiled at me too it finally set to rest the nagging worries I had harboured since first discovering Carlisle’s identity.
The music slowed down for a breather and I smiled when I saw Jasper offer Alice his hand; her eyes sparkled as she placed hers in his and they came together in an elegant and timeless waltz, their eyes never leaving each other. Jasper’s cheeks were pink as he gazed in wonder at his beautiful date, his eyes afire.
I saw Esme walk over to mom and introduce herself. Leaving them to it, I took the opportunity to head for the darkened kitchen and a moment of solitude. The party was going well, better than I had hoped, but I knew mom wasn’t convinced and I didn’t know what else I could do to make her see. Perhaps Emmett could help, but then again I didn’t want to spoil his evening by asking him to sort out mine. Bracing my hands on the counter, I breathed deeply. Even at my own party I was letting others dictate my future; I needed to take control.
Since that night, Carlisle hadn’t spoken of me moving in again. I wondered if it had just been the alcohol talking, but I didn’t honestly believe that. He had laid his heart out there and asked me to live with him; I guessed it was entirely possible that, although he desired it, he didn’t remember actually asking me. So now I wondered if I should mention it, or wait and see what happened over the next few days, weeks, whatever.
Did I want to wake up with him every single day? Yes, I did. Could I cope with the practicalities of living with someone other than a friend? I didn’t know. What would happen if we broke up? The thought of being alone again, after making such a big leap, scared me. My hands were shaking slightly and it wasn’t down to the few beers I had drunk.
I heard quiet footfalls, followed by two warm, strong arms enfolding me, his breath gently ruffling my hair.
“Why are you out here on your own? Bored of the party already?” I shook my head and laughed hollowly.
“I’m just getting my head around the fact that I don’t get to wake up next to you like this on my birthday. I thought I’d be okay with it, but it hurts even more than I thought it would.”
I couldn’t bring myself to face him, to show him how devastated I felt that our plans were on hold. He turned me to face him, keeping me wrapped in his arms.
“I’ll make it up to you, I promise. Dance with me?”
Moonlight filtered through the window, casting shadows across the room. Carlisle’s hair shone like spun silver, his cheekbones thrown into sharp relief above his inviting lips. The song had changed and the soft strains of Ben Lee drifted in from the lounge room. Hypnotised by both the song and his proximity, I moved a hand to his neck and the other to his back, moving together, swaying gently in the almost-light. Our eyes saw only each other as Ben sang of just how much I ached for Carlisle when we were apart. He must have seen the need in my expression as he pulled my head in closer to his, the feel of his breath on my face tormenting me; my stomach tied itself in knots waiting for the sweet press of his mouth on mine to soothe the frantic butterflies. I tilted my head, his lips merely a breath away, his whispered words caressing me like a soft zephyr breeze.
“I love you, Edward, so very much; happy birthday, my love.”
My fingertips skated over his jaw, up and over his cheekbone and into his hair as our mouths finally met. A helpless moan of desire escaped me as our lips completed the circuit allowing the surge of electricity to crackle through our bodies; we clung together in a perfect, private moment, the party forgotten. All night I had waited for the chance to be alone with him before I had to leave. My birthday kiss was the kind they showed in the movies: swelling music and grand passion, all of which Carlisle delivered effortlessly without even needing to try. I had never needed another person like I needed him; he saw the real me, no facades or bravado, and somehow, I was enough. He loved me with his body and his mind, and I was humbled.
As the kiss ended I slid my nose into his throat, eyes tightly closed, inhaling the scent that was uniquely Carlisle. I felt his breathing hitch as he pulled me in closer; his head finding my shoulder, our bodies flush together as we moved so slowly, lost in our trance, locked together in yearning.
From outside of our private bubble came a sigh and faint, whispered words.
“Look at them and tell me that isn’t love, right there.”
~xxXxx~
A/N – I have written a Christmas outtake to my one-shot Rescue Me in aid of Toys for Tots. Visit Christmas wishes compilation dot blogspot for more information. A minimum donation of $5 will ensure you receive a whole heap of wonderful Christmas reading on December 24th by some of your favourite authors.
No comments:
Post a Comment