Saturday, 31 December 2011

Learning to Fly - Ch17

So I posted a day early - Happy New Year everyone!

Thank you as always to my beta mxpi1970 and my pre reader Jasper1863Hale – couldn’t do it without my girls!

As always, all characters created and owned by Stephenie Meyer.

~xxXxx~

CHAPTER 17

Esme’s POV

There was undeniable tension in the air.

I approached Edward’s mother, offering her my hand and a smile in greeting.

“Esme Fitch.”

She shook her head, her brows furrowing for a brief moment.

“I’m sorry; you probably expected my name to be Cullen.” I saw recognition then.

“Oh! It’s lovely to meet you. Please – call me Elizabeth.” Her eyes glanced around the room and then back to me. “Lovely house.”

“Yes, isn’t it. Carlisle’s a good homemaker; it’s all his own work. To be fair to him, he had a lot to work through when he moved here and he used the house and boat as therapy.”

I noticed her eyes widen when I said ‘boat’ but chose to overlook it for now. I could see questions leaping in her throat and waited patiently until she could articulate them. She took a heavy sip of her drink before gesturing with her glass.

“So you and he are still... close? I saw you together earlier.”

I smiled in what I hoped was a reassuring manner.

“Yes, very much so. Although our marriage didn’t work out, I can’t deny that he is a wonderful man and I love him still as a dear, dear friend. We raised our daughter together even though we lived apart. He’s an amazing father, and there’s no bad feeling between us from the divorce. In fact we have even more in common now, having both suffered through the death of a partner in the past; we’re good support for each other, always there in times of need.”

I saw her expression flicker with confusion.

“But how can you stand it? Seeing him with a man barely older than your daughter? Don’t you find them an odd partnership?”

I was a little taken aback, but tried to hide my surprise behind a mouthful of wine.

“Odd? Admittedly, I was no fan of Edward when he was dating Lauren. I thought he was too mature for her; ironic then that he and Carlisle should find each other, having never met whilst he was dating Lauren.”

“So I heard. Mrs Fitch, I don’t doubt that Dr Cullen is a wonderful man. I’m just having difficulty with them being together. And, as I’m sure you can understand, Edward being with someone so much more... mature... to use your word, concerns me. I worry that their differences will become accentuated by the passing of time. I couldn’t bear for Edward to wake up one day and realise he sacrificed his youth.”

“So then, you think he’s wasting his life with Carlisle?”

She looked down, her thumb rubbing across the glass in her hand.

“I-I just don’t want him to look back and regret his life. Does that make me sound callous? I’ve always wanted him to settle down and raise a family. I never envisioned him with an older partner; I guess I just expected him to meet a nice young girl and nature would take its course.”

“And instead he met Carlisle.” I looked at her kindly.”What you’re saying makes perfect sense. As a mother I completely understand, but let me ask you this: do you believe that they love each other? That this is more than a mere infatuation or a passing phase? In your heart of hearts, do you see it?”

It was Elizabeth’s turn to look uncomfortable with the directness of my questions, but I pressed on.

“Edward was fond of Lauren, but their relationship pales in comparison to what he has with Carlisle. He loves him. I see the difference now, and I swear to you that Carlisle is deeply in love; he’s the happiest I’ve seen him since Marcus was alive. He was amazing when Edward was recovering from the surgery... I’m guessing you know all about that?”

“The accident, yes; but what did he do to help? He couldn’t treat him.”

“Edward didn’t tell you? He insisted Edward stay here with him to make sure he suffered no adverse reactions after surgery. He looked after him, helped him through his frustration at not remembering. Edward had no recollection of their relationship, and yet the two couldn’t be separated even after the accident and his brain injury; Edward felt their connection even without his memories.”

I thought I saw a hint of a wince cross her face but it was gone too soon to be sure. I continued.

“Carlisle told me that he refused to discuss the ‘before’, instead deciding to start afresh, to not worry about the past and to make new memories. When Edward’s memory returned, thanks to Emmett I understand, the two of them went away on Carlisle’s boat for a couple of days to celebrate and reaffirm their bond. They are even more devoted to each other now than before.”

At that moment, Carlisle’s hand brushed my shoulder affectionately and he smiled at Elizabeth as he headed for the kitchen in pursuit of Edward. Elizabeth’s mouth thinned almost imperceptively.

My eyes followed his exit. All evening, the two of them had been gazing at each other across the room, unable to be themselves in the presence of Edward’s mother, unwilling to cause her further upset. Excusing myself for a moment, I quietly made my way to the kitchen and heard low voices. It was when I heard Carlisle ask Edward to dance that I made a decision.

Returning to find Elizabeth where I had left her, I touched her arm. She looked at me with a slight frown.

“Come with me; there’s something you need to see.”

She looked perplexed, but followed me anyway. I put my finger to my lips and motioned to the darkened kitchen. While I felt bad about snooping on them like this, I hoped that it would prove my point and finally make Elizabeth see the reality the rest of us had already openly embraced.

In the moonlit kitchen, the two of them were locked together in a tender kiss so intimate that I averted my eyes. When it broke they stayed wrapped around each other, swaying to the soft music filtering through from the lounge room. They were oblivious, lost in each other, in a world of their own making. This was what they had craved all evening – time alone together.

As I drew Elizabeth away from the door, I whispered:

“Look at them and tell me that isn’t love, right there.”

She was silent, for once at a loss for words. I fervently hoped I had done the right thing.

When we walked back into the party, the music was switching back to a dance track, one that everyone knew well. Emmett and Jasper were being taught the apparently compulsory dance moves by a giggling Rosalie and Alice. I smiled, watching the boys struggle to both keep up with their ladies, and keep their hands to themselves. Seeing Elizabeth looking pensive, Emmett whispered in Rosalie’s ear before making his way over to us.

“Everything okay, Mrs M? You look a little... off.”

She turned to face him, her expression unfathomable.

“Emmett? It’s getting late, and I think I’ll be making a move. It’s been a long day and I’m rather tired. Would you be okay to drive me back to the apartment? I can get Edward’s keys if you could you bring them back for him later.”

I watched Emmett’s expressive face register immediate concern before he nodded his acquiescence.

“It’s okay, Mrs M, I’ll get the keys. You stay there.”

He looked at me, raising an eyebrow, and I nodded in the direction of the kitchen just as Carlisle and Edward appeared in the doorway, looking calm and relaxed.

Amazing what a dance and a kiss could do.

Emmett spoke to Edward, explaining the situation. Edward too looked worried, his whole demeanour tensing; as I watched, Carlisle’s hand started to rub comforting circles on his back.

“Does she want me to go with her? It’s not right to let her go on her own, and me stay here.”

“Dude, you guys need to spend a little more time together before you head home. It’s your birthday party! You two deserve to relax and, with your mom gone, I think the atmosphere will lighten a little, don’t you? And there’s karaoke later - you don’t want to miss that!”

His grin lit up his face, and I heard Edward’s jovial groan.

~xxXxx~

Emmett’s POV

Separating Edward from his keys proved a little problematic. He felt guilty leaving his mom to go home to an empty apartment while he stayed with Carlisle at the party, despite him being the guest of honour. I pointed out that she had stayed there before, and would be perfectly fine on her own. I’d bring the keys back so he wouldn’t have to wake her. Carlisle proved to be the successful negotiator; all he did was run his thumb over Edward’s lip and I saw his resolve crumble to ash before my eyes. Not looking away from his lover, he handed over the apartment keys, merely telling me to drive safely.

Of course I would; Mrs M meant as much to me as she did to him.

She didn’t say much, other than to thank and bid goodnight to Carlisle and Esme. Her hand patted Edward’s shoulder as she told him she’d see him in the morning and not to stay up all night getting drunk and singing badly in front of innocent guests. He grinned and kissed her goodnight.

She was quiet in the car which worried me as it meant she had something on her mind. I had a pretty good idea what that was and so I waited, knowing she would speak up when she was ready.

“Emmett?”

Here we go.

“I know you’re Edward’s closest, dearest friend and would defend him to the death...” I smiled, despite myself. “But how do you feel about his relationship with the doctor? Honestly? Surely you have misgivings about the whole thing?”

Straight for the jugular.

“Mrs M, I was pretty shocked when Ed told me he’d met someone. Bear in mind that at the time he’d just had the accident and was very confused about the feelings he was having. He knew, even then, that he and Lauren were through and that he had feelings for the doc. That guy was just amazing with him. He wouldn’t tell him anything about his lost week, only that he wanted him to remember in his own time and that when his memories returned they could then be trusted.”

“You’re sure he didn’t coerce Edward in any way while he was in such a vulnerable state?”

I risked a glance at her, my mouth open in shock.

“Coerce?! No! Edward knew there was more to their relationship than Carlisle was letting on. Carlisle tried to keep his distance, but Edward pushed him into talking, even though it was innocent chat. They built a relationship from scratch, getting to know each other all over again. And even though, thankfully, Edward remembered everything, it’s my honest belief that they would be together no matter what. They truly are meant to be, as corny as that sounds.”

I could see her hands wringing in her lap and wanted to still them.

“But, he’s so much older, and a wealthy man. Is he buying Edward’s affections only to tire of him in a few months and leave him devastated? I can’t see my boy hurt like that.”

“Let me be totally honest with you. When Edward remembered the accident, and what had already happened between them, he ran to him. Well, technically, I drove him as he wasn’t allowed to drive, but my point is that his first thought was to tell Carlisle. It was the first time I’d seen them together as a couple. I know for sure, even if Edward won’t admit it, that he didn’t want to move out. The two of them were settled living together, even though it was only ever supposed to be a temporary arrangement for him to convalesce. And I’ll tell you this much - you won’t be staying at the apartment again, Mrs M. They’ll be living together for good just as soon as one of them is brave enough to say the words.”

~xxXxx~

I walked her to the apartment, making sure she was okay before I turned to leave.

“Emmett?”

She held out her arms to me, and I bent into her warm, familiar hug; I felt like a small boy again, protected and safe from harm. When I straightened up, my hands caught hers as I looked at her with a steady gaze.

“He’s happy, I promise you. I‘ve spent time with them and they only have eyes for each other. Carlisle’s a great guy, really down to earth; we hit it off the first time we met. If Edward didn’t love him, he wouldn’t have stood by him this past week. Believe me; it didn’t cross his mind to be anywhere else.”

Her eyes dropped, and I worried that I might have said too much but I had to get this out.

“I know how much you love him, I do too. I’ve never seen Edward like this with any girl. For the first time in his life he’s involved in a mutual, loving, adult relationship and it suits him.”

She still wasn’t meeting my eyes. My voice was low, with an almost pleading edge.

“I would never have put them together, but now I just can’t see him with anyone else. They just... fit.”

I shrugged my shoulders, not knowing what else I could say, unable to find any more words to express my feelings. In my eyes, Carlisle and Edward were a done deal.

She sighed.

“Rosalie’s a lovely girl. She’s a keeper; you look after her, Emmett.”

“I will, ma.”

Her eyes softened, her hand reaching up to cup my cheek.

“You haven’t called me that in a long time.”

I blushed, suddenly becoming that little boy again, shyly accepting unfamiliar kindness from my best friend’s mom. Standing on her tiptoes, she kissed my cheek, patting the other with her hand.

“Go back to the party and enjoy yourself. And try not to embarrass Rosalie on the karaoke – you don’t want to scare her off now, do you?”

I grinned and turned for the door, the keys in my hand. As I opened the door, I hesitated and looked back.

“I promise not to embarrass her. As long as you promise me you’ll give Carlisle a fair chance. He’s done nothing wrong; all he did was fall in love.”

~xxXxx~

Pulling up outside Carlisle’s home, I edged the jeep into the driveway next to an old Ford and killed the engine. Making my way back inside I looked around, seeing Rosalie talking animatedly with Liam whilst Alice and Jasper were cuddled together contentedly on the sofa. Alistair was sorting out the music, whereas Carlisle, Edward and Esme were nowhere to be seen. I went in search, finding them all in the kitchen where Carlisle was fixing drinks and acting as a chaperone of sorts between Edward and Esme, ensuring their first social evening together went smoothly.

Edward looked round at me, worry still evident in his face. I handed him back his keys and he placed them on the countertop.

“She okay, Emm?”

I exhaled noisily.

“You know your mom. She’s not comfortable with the idea of you two yet, that’s the crux of it. I think she’ll come around; I did my best, but I don’t know if it made any difference. She asked some pretty uncomfortable questions in the car.”

Carlisle turned.

“Thank you for trying, Emmett. I guess I was a little over optimistic that this evening would resolve everything neatly.” Edward’s hand clasped his in support, his worried face mirroring Carlisle’s. “I just hope, given time, that she comes around; time is something Edward and I have plenty of.”

I felt helpless when I saw the underlying resignation in their eyes; there was a real possibility that Mrs M might not ever truly accept Carlisle.

“It’s okay, Emm. Mom is stubborn, but she only wants what’s best for me. I guess this time it’s up to me to prove I made the right choice.”

Esme’s face was sad, and I figured she must have tried to make a persuasive argument too. I could tell from the way she was around Carlisle that she still cared a great deal for him, and that she accepted their relationship without question.

Lauren has a cool mom. I wonder if she realises how lucky she is.

I turned and headed back to the main room to set up the karaoke machine that Carlisle had borrowed for tonight. We needed something to take our minds off our problems. I grinned; karaoke was so my thing!

Tapping the mic, I fired up the screen and produced the book of song choices with a flourish.

“Okay you guys, and you ladies, it’s time for the entertainment portion of this shindig, and the news is that each of you will be that entertainment. Don’t be shy now - step on up and choose your song!”

I watched as realisation dawned on their faces; hearing chuckles from the doorway, I could see Carlisle and Edward standing there watching. Alistair was shaking his head emphatically, his bravado having apparently left him, while Liam stood on the sidelines, laughing. Alice and Rosalie looked beseechingly at Carlisle, their faces expressing their stage fright as they mutely pleaded for mercy. For once this had no effect on Carlisle, whose face could not contain his mirth.

Oh boy, he’s in for some trouble at work!

I decided a little persuasion was in order.

“Now come on ladies; everyone has to have a turn, including the birthday boy. In fact, I think Edward should kick off the festivities this evening. What will you sing, Ed?”

He walked up and whispered his song choice to me. Looking to him in surprise, I realised that this song would perhaps express what he could not bring himself to say in everyday conversation. Finding the code, I loaded the song and handed him the mic.

His cheeks pink with embarrassment, he waited for the intro and then started to sing. Edward’s voice was deep with an almost timeless quality, delivering the heartrending lyrics in a voice both raw and full of naked emotion. You could hear a pin drop in the room.


I'm lying alone with my head on the phone

Thinking of you till it hurts

I know you're hurt too but what else can we do

Tormented and torn apart


I wish I could carry your smile and my heart

For times when my life feels so low

It would make me believe what tomorrow could bring

When today doesn't really know, doesn't really know



I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you

I know you were right, believing for so long

I'm all out of love, what am I without you

I can't be too late to say that I was so wrong


I want you to come back and carry me home

Away from these long lonely nights

I'm reaching for you, are you feeling it too

Does the feeling seem oh so right


And what would you say if I called on you now

And said that I can't hold on

there's no easy way, it gets harder each day

Please love me or I'll be gone, I'll be gone



The girls stood agape; I noticed that Esme was watching Carlisle for his reaction. He, on the other hand, was spellbound, eyes fixed on Edward, his lips slightly parted.

As the last notes of the chorus faded, applause broke out. Blushing hard, Edward walked straight to Carlisle who, uncaring of those around them, kissed him long and hard.

Guessing that the message had gotten through, I cleared my throat to issue a small reminder.

“Don’t get any ideas, guys; you aren’t slipping away any time soon!”

They both had the good grace to blush, Carlisle hiding his smile in Edward’s throat. They exuded happiness as they nuzzled noses, kissing one more time as I demanded my next victim step up to the mic. Seeing no willing volunteers, I took the cue to sing myself. Winking at Rosie, I launched into a favourite of mine, Mustang Sally, and saw Edward grin.

By the time I reached the chorus, I had everyone joining in with ‘ride Sally ride’, swaying along to the familiar words. I could hold a tune, and so Rosalie was laughing with me at the end and not at me. In fact, the girls were brave enough to step up and sing a duet themselves, throwing themselves into ‘I am Woman’. By the time they reached the first chorus, they were beckoning wildly to Esme to join them. She made her way over to them, giggling as she linked arms with Alice and Rose, singing the anthem loud and proud. As the music ended, they bowed and blew kisses before trying, in tandem, to coax Jasper into giving us a tune.

He finally caved, looking mortified as he made his way over to me. I felt rather sorry for him as he stood there, clutching a mic, having been railroaded into singing.

However, when the song started to play, Jasper surprised us all. The opening notes were sung in a faltering tone, but then he found his rhythm and sang with confidence. And he sang directly to a lovestruck Alice.


Looking at you, holding my breath

For once in my life I'm scared to death

I'm taking a chance, letting you inside


Feeling alive, all over again,

As deep as the sky, under my skin

Like being in love, she says

for the first time

Maybe I'm wrong,

But I'm feeling right where I belong

With you tonight

Like being in love

To feel for the first time


I could feel the heat in his voice as he found his confidence, singing like he was born to it. My eyes met Rosie’s, and I saw the same fire there that burned within me.

I wondered if tonight was the night for us. There was enough love in the room to make a sober man drunk, and I should know; I was the only one without a proper drink warming my insides. But I wanted to drive my Rosie home tonight, and the small sacrifice was worth it. I would do anything to spend time with her.

Over on the other sofa, Liam and Alistair were kissing unashamedly, the song weaving a romantic atmosphere throughout the room.

When Jasper’s song was over, he looked embarrassed as if he couldn’t quite believe he had gone through with it. Alice’s eyes were shining and Jasper found himself rewarded with a kiss for his efforts. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him give her a lopsided grin, his eyes gazing into hers from under his mop of blond hair.

Who knew that karaoke would ignite such sparks? I had just thought it would be a fun way to spend the evening, but it had achieved so much more. I felt a grin spread across my face, and I loaded my next song of choice.

As the iconic intro began, I beckoned to Edward and we launched into our party piece and even the shyer members of the group finally joined in, singing at the top of their lungs:

I gotta feeling that tonight’s gonna be a good night that tonight’s gonna be a good, good night....

~xxXxx~

Carlisle’s POV

As the evening drew to a close, I made coffee for those in need. Emmett and Rosalie insisted on giving Esme a lift home as Edward decided to stay a while before heading off. Jasper and Alice, amid much kissing and hugging, took off in his Ford, Liam and Alistair following them out, their cab waiting outside.

After an enjoyable, crazy, fun filled evening, we were finally alone.

I wrapped an arm around Edward’s chest as he closed the door, pulling him flush against me, my lips in his hair.

“That went well, I think.”

He leaned back into me with a smile, his hand on my arm to stop me letting go. When I pressed a kiss into his soft throat he hummed as his head fell back.

“Did you have a good time?” I whispered into his ear.

Releasing my arm, he turned, his arms snaking around my neck. His soulful green eyes gazed into mine.

“The best. And before I go, I want to thank you properly for the party and for the piano - especially the piano. It’s... incredible. I can’t find a word that sounds grateful enough. It’s amazing... you’re amazing.”

I cut him off with a kiss, letting him know I understood exactly what he was trying to say. I turned him round and walked him into the sitting room where we collapsed together onto the sofa. Kneeling over him, I pinned him to the cushions. His hands cupped my face, pulling me closer; his breathing quickened as the kiss deepened, becoming charged with delicious promise.

But when the kiss ended, his lips leaving mine so very reluctantly, I looked into eyes full of pain and regret. I frowned, not understanding the change.

“What is it? What’s wrong?”

I stroked his cheek with my thumb, watching his face crumple as he struggled to find the right words.

“If we make love here, tonight, I’ll stay and fall asleep next to you. There’s just no way I’ll be able to leave you and go back to the apartment where, let’s face it, my mother’s lying awake waiting for me. I know this probably sounds crazy when I want you so badly, but...”

My lips brushed his and I sighed.

“I know how you feel. I won’t want you to go either. Okay.” I sat up and moved to sit next to him. “So, what did Emmett give you earlier?”

He blinked.

“I forgot about that.” He jumped up and retrieved the slim package, tearing into the wrapping.

“And?”

His brow creased. “It’s a DVD.”

Walking over to the player, he slotted it in and flicked on the screen. After a few moments the picture appeared; it showed a large room, empty at first, until a person walked into shot. Looking at Edward, I saw his face pale. On the screen, two people were now in the room, kissing up against a wall.

Edward swallowed noisily and looked at me.

“It’s us.”

Looking down at the jewel case, I saw a note. Retrieving and unfolding it, I read the words printed there:

*So, I found this on my new CCTV system. Enjoy. But please, for the sake of my eyesight, don’t do it again.*

~xxXxx~

Songs:

Edward: ‘All Out of Love’ by Air Supply www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBMYow46LxQ

Emmett: ‘Mustang Sally’ by the Commitments www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEsoq0B1IOo

The girls: ‘I am Woman’ (thank you SATC!) www. youtube.com/watch?v=ReSy4dF6y5E

Jasper: First Time by Lifehouse- www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uq97aOlILE

Em & Ed: I gotta feeling by the Black-eyed Peas www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSD4vsh1zDA

2 comments:

credorosa said...

Loved this chapter!!

Anonymous said...

I gave a link to this blog to a friend of mine...
He and his boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed reading through it and proclaimed themselves somewhat breathless at the end.
Keep up the great work.